Bridge / Extension Work

Decorating By kmckay Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 1:55am by FromScratch

kmckay Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #1 of 4

I am trying my hand at bridge / extension work. I am able to do it with a #2 tip but I want the very thin lines that I have seen on other cakes. I read somewhere that using a #1 tip that you pull the royal icing through a knee-hi stocking. My question is: do you place the icing in the stocking and then place the stocking in a bag with tip and push the icing through the stocking into the tip within the bag. Or do you push the icing through the stocking into a bowl and then place that icing into the decorator bag. I am trying to find the best method to obtain the very thin delicate lines in bridge/extension work. Any tips / hints would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies
lapazlady Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 4

I haven't sent royal icing through a seive or stocking, but it seems you'd want all the larger pieces to be in the seive or stocking, seive it into a bowl first seems most logical. Good luck at string work, can't wait to see photos.

stampinron Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 4

Here is a bump for you.

I did it in the past by putting the stocking in my piping bag. I don't know the "right" way to do it, I was just practicing

FromScratch Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:55am
post #4 of 4

the stocking is to get any clumps put so they won't plug your tips... put it through the stocking and then put it in the piping bag. That's what I do for fine details on cookies. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%