Newbie: Refrigerate Or Not?

Decorating By PuffMamaT Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm by Gingoodies

PuffMamaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffMamaT Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

Right now I am making a cake that I will be filling with whipped chocolate ganache. I will cover it with the Brite White Buttercream (really it's Sweetex-based...no butter) found in the recipes here. Decorations will be MMF.

The cake is needed tomorrow afternoon. I know I can fill and ice the two tiers and refrigerate separately tonight (if I can make room in my fridge -- which is a big IF). However, I tend to work slowly because this is just an occasional hobby for me. I would much rather put all of the fondant on tonight as well, but I worry about sweating.

Can I leave the entire thing out? Or alternatively, can I decorate it all and refrigerate the whole thing?

Thanks!

6 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 7

If you are worried about the filling, don't be. Ganache can be held at room temperature for a couple of days. You will probably be better off completing your cake and leaving it out (covered of course). That is.. as long as your house is not 100 degrees.

PuffMamaT Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 7

Great! Thank you!!! thumbs_up.gif

Now, just for my own learning purposes...if the BC is actually butter-based, it should be refrigerated, correct?

We should have a little wizard on the site where we can put our fillings and coverings and have it spit out the "refrigerate or not?" answer. icon_lol.gif

Gingoodies Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 7

Believe it or not, butter based BC can be left out for a few days. In Europe most people do not refridgerate their butter and have no ill effects. I have left BC (made 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening) out for days. My only concern is, if it is hot, the BC will be very soft. It will not "go bad" just be really soft.

PuffMamaT Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 7

Thanks, Ginny. That's a good point.

You made me think of one more question -- thanks for your patience.

When you say leave it out, covered...
How do people cover large tiered cakes? This one isn't really very large (10-inch and 8-inch tiers), but I don't know how I would cover it, especially without messing up the buttercream. I would want the fondant on the sides (stripes and argyle pattern) to remain soft, but the other decorations like bows and characters should harden.

Thanks!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 7

You can cover it loosely with plastic wrap.

Btw, I always refrigerate my cakes.

Gingoodies Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 7

PuffMamaT... sorry I went off to read and didn't see your last question. I like to cover my cakes by putting them in a box. Just to keep dust, little fingers, big fingers, who knows what... off the cake. I also do like to refrigerate my buttercream cakes when I can..but I am not sure how that would affect fondant decorations. Also at this time of year there is the condensation issue to contend with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%