Where's The Best Tropical Place You Have Visited????

Lounge By sweetcravings Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 12:58pm by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 15

My husband an i have been discussing booking a tropical vacation this fall for our family. We haven't vacationed much, but have been to Jamacia (ochio rios), peurto vallarta mexico, and then florida.
We have an eleven yr old son who would be coming with us, so there would have to be things for him to do other than laying in the sun,,ie..snorkling etc.
Where is the nicest place you have stayed? Where do you recommend?

We thought of dominican replubic but it seems so many people we've known of have come home sick with stomach bugs, etc..

14 replies
Deb_ Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #2 of 15

Our "all time" favorite family tropical vacation spot is Play del Carmen, Mexico....40 miles South of Cancun, on the Yucatan Peninsula. It's the Mayan Indian region of Mexico.......great ruins.

We've been there 4 times. Our favorite resort of all is Iberostar Tucan it's all inclusive.....all meals, drinks (alcohol too), and non-motorized water sports are included in the price. If you visit tntvacations.com and search for "Riviera maya" you'll see a list of all the resorts there. They have a lot of fun things for kids as well. The water is so blue and beautiful and it's a gated community of resorts with a small town for shopping about 5 minutes away. Completely safe.

We went to the Dominican Republic 2 years ago to an all-inclusive and didn't like it as much as Mexico. I honestly never felt safe there. The resorts are set up on a strip of beach, but they are not far from some pretty seedy looking areas. Also the men there (natives) were so aggressive, I really felt uncomfortable......especially since my DD who was 19 at the time was with us. I was afraid to let her out of our sight.

I never felt like that in Mexico, our kids were young when we first went there and by the 2nd day they were going with the "kid's counselor" to do fun stuff with other children.

Cruises are great too. Our kids have been on 6 cruises with us and they've had a ball on all of them.

Carda Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

My husband an i have been discussing booking a tropical vacation this fall for our family. We haven't vacationed much, but have been to Jamacia (ochio rios), peurto vallarta mexico, and then florida.
We have an eleven yr old son who would be coming with us, so there would have to be things for him to do other than laying in the sun,,ie..snorkling etc.
Where is the nicest place you have stayed? Where do you recommend?

We thought of dominican replubic but it seems so many people we've known of have come home sick with stomach bugs, etc..

You live in Canada? You have to come to Bermuda then! So beautiful (but then I am biased), great snorkelling, diving and you can go on jetski tours of the island. Very "civilised" so it's easy to get around by bus, or even moped if you choose.

mkolmar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 15

I loved Costa Rica. My DH and I went horse back riding in the mountains, zip lines, swam (water was salty though), to the local markets and kayaked.
There was more to do, but we started running low on funds.

I've never been the Bahamas but my friends said it was fabulous, that's one place I'd love to go to.

My mom and dad have been to Hawaii 2x now and they just think it's the best place in the world and they've traveled to many different places.

sweetcravings Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks guys, i'll check those places out. I figure it's best to ask those who have travelled, where's the best to go. We would prefer something all inclusive, just to make it easier for us.

Keep the suggestions coming.

suz

jules06 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #6 of 15

You could try The Whitsundays ( group of islands ) in Nth.Qld !!
Lots of all-inclusive, family orientated resorts to choose from icon_smile.gif

michellenj Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 15

I absolutely love Hawaii. Each island is a little different from the others. The Hyatts on Maui and Kauai are phenominal (esp. on Kauai), and the Hilton Wailaloa Village is nice, too, but humongous.

Bermuda is my second favorite. It's small enough that you can rent mopeds and see the entire island, and the locals don't converge on you to buy their useless crap like some islands.

jmr531 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 15

I second the vote for Hawaii. Turks and Caicos was great too.

BakingGirl Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 15

The Cayman Islands are great. Lots of fun water sports to do, the water is crystal clear and very calm. The islands are also very safe with a high standard of living, so you are no more likely to come back with a tummy bug than if you were at home.

drakegore Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 15

phuket, thailand (and the other surrounding islands)...i loved it. it's a real adventure and just beautiful. lots of stuff to do.

kuai was also a fantastic place (and i am not a fan of the other islands, so i thought i would not like kuai, but i was so wrong!)

diane

ccr03 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 15

I LOVE Ixtapa, Mexico. It's one of the most peaceful places I've been!

ladyellam Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:25am
post #12 of 15

I love, love,love Barbados! I've been pretty much around the world and when I stepped off the plane, it felt like home. The water is beautiful and pristine, the people are wonderful and don't get me started on the food.

It truly is paradise on Earth.

Ruth0209 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:08am
post #13 of 15

I vote for Playa del Carmen, too. We went to Ocho Rios, Jamaica and it was okay, but we didn't feel safe off the resort. We just liked Mexico better. There are lots of things to do around Playa del Carmen.

I'm envious! We're dying to go back to Mexico!!

CanadianCakin Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:48am
post #14 of 15

Oh I have to agree with Hawaii! I loved it there..we went when I was 16 there was soooo much to do!

Now not sure if everyone would consider it 'tropical' but it's hot, has white sandy beaches, LOADS of history and tons to do! My Fave place ever is Greece!!! Absolutly beautiful!

sweetcravings Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:58pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's great to hear about the places you've all been. You've given me lots of directions to follow. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%