What Would Be A Good Token?

Business By Kitagrl Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 12:37am by missyd4e

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 11

So today I had to deliver two fairly large cakes, some semi 3D "theater mask" cakes, each one on its own 16" board. First time customer.

In transit evidently my tire went over a shard of metal and over halfway into the trip, I got a BAD flat.

So what ended up happening is they sent someone (about 10 minutes) to pick the cakes up from me (hopefully they made it ok in his car, I have yet to find that out)....and then the lady was a AAA member and right away offered to have the AAA come out and change my tire (she pretended it was her car *shrugs* she just arranged it all for me, I didn't ask!) which was very nice.

My main concern is the masks were supposed to be silver and I used the new Lucks luster airbrush spray, and somehow after it dried it ended up a lavender hue. I put alot of silver mystical dust all over it but still looked somewhat lavender.

SOOOOO after I find out if the cakes made it ok and they were acceptable, what do you think is a fair gift for the inconvenience? Anything? 10% off next order?

Secondly, if something happened to their cakes in the secondary transit, or the color was unacceptable, then what? Discount on future order? Or small refund?

Just trying to figure out all my options...I assume all will be well but this customer was, while very nice, also very particular about these cakes so I want to make sure all is well. I hated that this happened during a delivery!

10 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 11

The customer sounds great! Hopefully, you won't have to worry. You could just call her, say thanks again, and then ask if the cakes made it their safely since you personally weren't able to drop them off.

And then maybe offer a 10% off discount for her next cake for the help she gave you and the inconvenience of them having to come and get the cake. Maybe no delivery charge next time. Or maybe refund the delivery fee.

Kitagrl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 11

She just emailed me that the cakes were great and that's all she said in the email...so that's good...I didn't charge delivery as it was a larger order so I included it for them.

So yeah I guess 10%? Or maybe a free 8" dessert cake???

cylstrial Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 11

Oh good! I'm glad to hear that!

It's really up to you. 10% or a free 8" cake. They both sound good.

But to be honest, I think the free dessert cake sounds like a really nice thing to do for her, since she was really nice about the situation and even called AAA.

Kitagrl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 11

They live 30 min away...should I make a free dessert cake and deliver? Or free and pickup?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 11

I would say free and deliver, since you didn't get to deliver the 1st one! LOL Although she sounds nice and may be glad to pick up, but you could offer? I'm glad this all turned out well and she liked the cakes!

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 11

I think you should make her a small cake and tape a thank you card on the box. I also think you should deliver it. I think if I were in this position I would want to thank her for all that she did. Not only did she take over delivery of your cake but she also arranged to have your car fixed. There are a lot of people out there who wouldn't have been so nice. I think that you need to take the time to properly thank her and calling and saying "Thanks for your help, I made you a cake....but you have to take time out of your day to come and get it" is not the proper way to say thank you in my opinion. I don't think this has anything to do with a cake business, I think it is about thanking someone who went out of their way for you. Sounds like you have a winning customer there with some class! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 11

I think I will! Thanks! I'll write and see when they'd like it. That way they can save it if they want and order it when they have a nice dinner planned or guests.

cylstrial Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:05am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I think I will! Thanks! I'll write and see when they'd like it. That way they can save it if they want and order it when they have a nice dinner planned or guests.

That's a good idea. Seeing as how they just bought a bunch of cake from you. They will probably be eating it for a few days!

Kitagrl Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:11am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

That's a good idea. Seeing as how they just bought a bunch of cake from you. They will probably be eating it for a few days!

I think so too, esp as they bought it as a display cake. They have a huge party of like 300 people and they wanted 3D cakes but of course didn't want to pay $2000 or more for cake so they got their "mass cake" somewhere else and bought about 50-60 servings worth of cake from me. So I'm really not sure if they served it first, or will have lots of leftovers!

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:37am
post #11 of 11

I think the dessert cake and delivery is perfect. If it where me, I would be very pleased.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%