Pink Cake Box Cake

Decorating By mija10417 Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm by mija10417

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 8

Would anyone happen to know how they did the separators for this cake ?Image

I'm thinking they are probably styrofoam but I'm wondering how they're supporting each cake?

I'd like to make a tiered cake but want some type of separator so it's easier to do disassemble than one tier being stacked directly on top of the other.

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 8

You can use styrofoam dummies as the separators, and you dowel the cake tiers just as you would if you were stacking the cakes right on top of one another. The dummy tiers do not require doweling. It should all be anchored with a center dowel.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 8

That cake is gorgeous! And that's a great thing to know! Thanks Tara!

mija10417 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

You can use styrofoam dummies as the separators, and you dowel the cake tiers just as you would if you were stacking the cakes right on top of one another. The dummy tiers do not require doweling. It should all be anchored with a center dowel.

Thanks Tara! If I'm not transporting the cake, do I still need the center dowel?

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 8

What a beautiful cake. It looks too good to cut

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:51am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mija10417

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Thanks Tara! If I'm not transporting the cake, do I still need the center dowel?

I would think you would want to dowel it just to be safe, since the tiers will be sitting on smaller styrofoam rounds. If someone bumps that table, and there is no dowel, the whole thing is going to come crashing down into the floor. Just my 2 cents.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I would think you would want to dowel it just to be safe, since the tiers will be sitting on smaller styrofoam rounds. If someone bumps that table, and there is no dowel, the whole thing is going to come crashing down into the floor. Just my 2 cents.

Exactly!

mija10417 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 8

I guess you're right...I'll have to use the dowel then. I was trying my hardest to make it as easy as possible to deconstruct the cake at the party.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%