Job Interview

Decorating By tthardy78 Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 10:02pm by ncdessertdiva

tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 12

Ok I need some help here. I'm going to an impromptu interview next week for an assistant baker position. I haven't worked in a bakery since college (co-op), I have baked plenty on my own since then. My question is I have one person who says I should bake something to showcase my talent and then I have someone else telling me to just bring my portfolio. What would you guys do?

11 replies
Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 12

I would say the portfolio would do....BTW, I live in West Carrollton just South of Dayton. It's nice to know a caker this close to me on here!
Brownie

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 12

Yeah, portfolio would be best, I think...not too pushy. They probably have a small cake in there waiting for you to decorate on site. I had to do that when I applied at a cake shop once.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 12

I'd bring my portfolio as well.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 12

Bring your portfolio. They may ask you to make something, or even schedule you to trail for a day or more to try you out, but for the interview itself, your portfolio and CV/resume are all you need.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:05am
post #6 of 12

Good Luck!!! I hope you get it....this economy is something else! My son has been looking for a job, his first, and no one will hire him because its his first. It seems like everyone wants experience but no one will help those get experience... but it looks like you won't have a problem! Let us know!

tthardy78 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you everyone for your response, I spent the weekend updating my portfolio and resume. My meeting is Wed. keep your fingers crossedicon_smile.gif

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 12

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

tthardy78 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:22pm
post #9 of 12

Well I have been offered the job, full time with benefits. The pay is a little less then what I'm making now which would mean some juggling of the finances. I have to give her an answer today as I would need to start by Aug. 1st because she is going on maternity leave. Now I just have to figure out what to do

tthardy78 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 12

Well I have been offered the job, full time with benefits. The pay is a little less then what I'm making now which would mean some juggling of the finances. I have to give her an answer today as I would need to start by Aug. 1st because she is going on maternity leave. Now I just have to figure out what to do

tthardy78 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 12

Well I took the job and have never felt so good about a decision before in my life. Can't wait to learn new tricks and tech.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 12

CONGRATULATIONS!! Have fun, learn much!!
Leslie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%