New At This: Need Advice

Decorating By not_a_desperate_housewife Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 2:41am by underthesun

not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 3

Hello folks! With the help of photos posted on here, I've decided to embark on a Batman cake for my nephew's birthday. I'm going to do the Bat symbol on top, with buildings going around the cake. (All buttercream icing.) Here is what I need advice about...

Should I do chocolate transfers for the buildings? Or should I do fondant?

I already bought Satin Ice fondant in black. Have yet to open it. I have never used fondant before, and I have never done a chocolate transfer!

Which would be easier for me to do?

If you recommend fondant, should I let the fondant dry before putting it on the cake? (The buildings will not come up past the top of the cake.) And if I do need to dry it out, for how long? Just leave it out on my counter?

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.

2 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 3

I would use the fondant, since you already have it. It doesn't need to dry before you put it on the cake, if you want the buildings to match the curve of the cake (assuming it's round).

underthesun Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:41am
post #3 of 3

Definitely what Texas Rose suggested. Just don't forget, if your buttercream crusts, you will need to spritz the back of your fondant, with water just a little so that it will stick to the buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%