Cake Rings - Are They Worth Using?

Decorating By Cakeandcupcakes Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm by vlk

Cakeandcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeandcupcakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 5

I've noticed on a few cake shows they they are using cake rings. I think it was on Cake Boss that they were cutting round cakes out of sheets. And on Amazing wedding cakes they were filling and stacking each layer using a tall ring. It seems like a great way to have a perfectly round cake every time. Does anyone have experience in this?

4 replies
vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #2 of 5

HI -
I will say that I use them to assemble my cakes. I had my husband make me a couple different sizes and I use them to layer and the cakes dont slip and slide around. They slip right off and TADA... I push and weigh the each layer down as I go - so the biggest one I've done is a 3 layer - even on the 2 layers it just nice and clean.

I thought about using them to cut? But that seems like such a waste of cake for me ($$) so I use my pans - then again not sure what pan you would use to bake the sheet cake (looks like a 1 inch cake) Would that be a large jelly roll pan?
So no help there...

HTH - Vicki

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 5

They are an essential tool in my kitchen. In addition to traditional cakes. I bake a lot of meringue-based and other such cakes that don't lend themselves to being baked in a traditional cake pan, so I must bake them in thin sheets and cut to size. I also use the rings to building these cakes, as well as molded mousse cake, charlotte russe, and other such cakes. I can also frost the inside of the ring (with either BC or ganache) before placing the alternating layers of cake and filling into the ring, and then smooth off the top with the same BC or ganache and when the cake is unmolded it's perfectly smooth, with no effort at all. I LOVE my cake rings!

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 5

What is a "Cake Ring" ???

=)

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 5

There are several of us that use them - you can search the web for "cake rings"

I have a 12-10-8-6-4 (my husband is handy) - when I put the cake together I place each layer in and then place it in the fridge - it gets cold faster (the metal) and when I remove the ring, I have a nice even layered cake. Instead of doing one layer at time and waiting.. I do the cake in one swoop...

HTH - Vicki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%