Your Favorite Buttercream Recipe

Baking By veronica970206 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm by CakeandDazzle

KimmieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmieJ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:17pm
post #61 of 64

Where do you find the Sweetex at? I've been looking and so far no luck at the grocery stores!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm
post #62 of 64

I Love SMBC, but I also use a lot of Fondant. Does anyone use SMBC under fondant, and if so, how do you get it to stay firm under the fondant? Do you have to always keep it in the fridge to maintain that firmness under the fondant?

Your cakes are lovely Fromscratch...do you use SMBC under your fondant since you say you wouldn't switch to anything else? Maybe you can answer my question/concern.

Where the American buttercreams are concerned, I go between Sugarshack and Indydeby's. I have also found out that combining the two types makes a really smooth frosting too!

Thanks everyone!

micheleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micheleo Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #63 of 64

I got Sweetex from thebakerskitchen.net. It's listed as Sweetex Shortening. After searching online for a bit it seemed to be the most reasonably priced. If anyone else has a source let me know. I'm finishing my first cake today and used SS buttercream. It's EXTREMELY humid today and hot and it seems to be holding up really well.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #64 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

I Love SMBC, but I also use a lot of Fondant. Does anyone use SMBC under fondant, and if so, how do you get it to stay firm under the fondant? Do you have to always keep it in the fridge to maintain that firmness under the fondant?

Your cakes are lovely Fromscratch...do you use SMBC under your fondant since you say you wouldn't switch to anything else? Maybe you can answer my question/concern.

Where the American buttercreams are concerned, I go between Sugarshack and Indydeby's. I have also found out that combining the two types makes a really smooth frosting too!

Thanks everyone!

i use smbc under fondant on all my cakes. i put it in the fridge to harden it before i cover it with fondant... then it doesnt have to stay in the fridge but i kepp most of mine in there! hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%