Your Favorite Buttercream Recipe

Baking By veronica970206 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm by CakeandDazzle

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

SMBC is the only thing I use... Love it! I use martha's recipe, but up the sugar about 3/4 cups and don't pre-whip the butter... Always remember to NEVER EVER use salted butter in SMBC!

I've used salted butter in my SMBC and have had no problems at all. I think it may depend on the recipe being used.

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #32 of 64

what's the difference again between italian and swiss MBC??

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:33pm
post #33 of 64

by the way- i love buttercream dream, but lately i've been using the whimsical bakehouse buttercream and everyone seems to really love it- doesn't taste too sweet, like and delicious!

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:44pm
post #34 of 64

I had a recipe I have used for 30 years my kids and family love my buttercream, is very similar to indydebis buttercream the difference is the dream whip. I tried indydebis and I like it better than what I had been using, the dream whip makes the consistency great. The kids and grandkids don't notice the change, so everyone is happy.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:48pm
post #35 of 64

Does indidebis crust? I bought some dream whip to try her recipe nexticon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:48pm
post #36 of 64

Does indidebis crust? I bought some dream whip to try her recipe nexticon_smile.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:50pm
post #37 of 64

I use the WBH buttercream a lot too, but it doesn't hold up well at all to heat. Not even to the heat of my hand.....so I can't use it to decorate much. If I do, I have to fill two bags at a time so I can put one down and switch off every time it gets too soft, which is about every 2 mniutes.......major pain. But it does taste good.....significantly less sweet than others. Guess that's why it's so soft.
I have used a Martha recipe for SMBC, but it didn't call for any pre-whipping of butter....... hmmm...... That was very good, but almost too buttery. Maybe I'll try to add a tiny bit more sugar.
I still want to try Sugarshack's. I have the DVD, but haven't watched it yet.
I have used indydebi's on many occasions. I like it OK. Still pretty darn sweet, but it holds up better than the WBH for decorating and in the heat.
I tried buttercream dream and really didn't like it much at all, though it seems popular on here. Just another good example of how we all have different taste buds!
Someday when I am bored, (not sure when that will be?) I should try to take all of the parts of all the recipes that I like and make one that I really like the best......which is not too sweet, not too buttery, and holds up in the heat. I'll call it Heather's Frosting Nirvana! And when it becomes a raging hit on CC, you can all refer to it with the requisite "secret code" of HFN..... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:11pm
post #38 of 64

That is an excellent ?-Does IndyDebis BC crust? How many envelopes come in a box of DreamWhip? I cannot wait to try this, now if I can just get enough energy to get to the store, lol.

giraffe11 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #39 of 64

Don't know how many envelopes are in a box of Dream Whip....at least 2.
Yes, Indydebi's icing does crust.

missymayflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missymayflower Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:13pm
post #40 of 64

I don't like super sweet icing, so I have started replacing half a cup of powdered sugar with cornstarch in the basic wilton recipe that calls for 2 pounds of sugar. It doesn't change the final texture, but it does make it less sweet.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #41 of 64

I am oon the high ratio side, the taste of pure butter in my mouth gets to me..I can't stand it.. icon_redface.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:33pm
post #42 of 64

I use two recipes....the Wilton only with half butter and half Sweetex, and probably a little extra milk. It turns out yummy.

And then I have a whipped icing that turns out sort of like a meringue icing...non crusting...but you don't have to cook it. I learned it at the catering place I worked and it is good for weddings and for those who do not like the sweeter flavor of the first buttercream.

I find people have strong preferences either way...so I offer both types. The first recipe is my main one, especially for birthday parties...the second recipe I use if I have to ice a wedding cake really nice and smooth, or if a whipped or less sweet icing is requested.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:48pm
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym0904

what's the difference again between italian and swiss MBC??

Swiss is made by cooking the egg whites and sugar over boiling water...
Italian is made by using a sugar syrup

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #44 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I am oon the high ratio side, the taste of pure butter in my mouth gets to me..I can't stand it.. icon_redface.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

Based on what I read here, I tried the Whimsical House Buttercream and had the same effect - but with shortening. This is just a hobby for me but I don't like super sweet so Whimsical met that....but oh greasy on the roof of my mouth! I'll keep trying......

giraffe11 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:55pm
post #45 of 64

DessertDiva.....did you use hi-ratio shortening? If you use regular shortening in WBH, it absolutely will be greasy greasy. hi ratio works better.

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #46 of 64

No I haven't.....I'll pick some up the next time I'm at our cake supply store. I hope that'll make the difference. It sure is pretty - nice and shiny...but tastes ick with non hi-ratio. A friend suggested Silvia Weinstock's but that's pure butter.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:23am
post #47 of 64

I use SMBC... I like it and I like working with it. No way I am changing up my BC if a client doesn't like it. If they want shortening and powdered sugar they can go else where. Yes you need to make your clients happy, but if they aren't digging what you offer then they shouldn't be having you make their cake. I can't stand making BC with powdered sugar... such a mess. I do what I do and people seem to really like it so I'm cool with it.

I don't like using salted butter (in any proportion) in SMBC because to me it tastes like eating a stick of butter with sugar in it. But using unsalted butter and it's not an issue. I don't taste butter at all. icon_smile.gif SMBC (or IMBC) doesn't need salt to cut the sweetness because they aren't super sweet at all. For a batch of SMBC to cover an 8" cake there is 1 cup of sugar... in a powdered sugar based icing the same amount has 2 pounds (8 cups) of powdered sugar... it's a huge difference in the sweetness factor. I don't care for cloyingly sweet things so SMBC is a perfect fit for me.

giraffe11 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:35am
post #48 of 64

I too like the less-sweet factor of SMBC. But to me, unfortunately.....yes it tastes like you eating a stick of butter (5 1/3 sticks to be exact!) with some sugar in it. I really wish I could find a recipe that doessn't taste like whipped butter, but I have yet to discover it. icon_sad.gif And I use unsalted butter too. Unfortunately, there isn't much of a happy medium. It's either super sweet icing without much fat. Or superfat icing without much sweet.
I want less-sweet, less-fatty tasting icing.....not talking calorie content, just taste-wise! Sigh! I don't want it cloying. I don't want it greasy. I don't want it to taste like I'm gnawing on a stick of butter.
icon_cry.gif

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:18am
post #49 of 64

I know exactly what tonedna is talking about, I went to my niece's birthday party and my Sister had orderd from a local baker, and holy cow, the BC was like sticks of butter for frosting, it was really nasty, and everyone around me was just inhaling the cake. I almost had this look like am I seeing things? Do you all not taste the same thing I am tasting? Cake was moist and I will give the Baker that, I cannot stand dry cake and I hate that people feel like they have to eat the cake regardless, but wow, no way on God's Green Earth was I getting that BC on my fork, can anyone tell me how it would taste like that or what they did? I do not want to make that mistake.

FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #50 of 64

What's your recipe? You can definitely take some butter out if you want. Try a different recipe? The recipe I use takes 6 egg whites, 1 1/3 cups of sugar, 4 sticks of butter, and 1 TBSP (or more if you like) of real vanilla. Adding enough flavoring is HUGE factor in the flavor. You can't have it be bright white... it just won't do in the flavor department. If you think it tastes like butter... add more vanilla and it can transform it into a different thing altogether. I have never had anyone say that my BC tastes like a stick of butter.

I know that somepeople mix SMBC and PS based BC together... maybe that will be your happy medium? icon_smile.gif

giraffe11 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #51 of 64

Hmmm..... do people really mix SMBC and PS based BC together? How does that work out? Doesn't that mess up the texture? because the 2 are so totally different.....
My SMBC recipe has 1 1/3 c sugar, 7 large egg whites, 5 sticks of unsalted butter, 2 tsp of vanilla......
I was afraid to take butter out, as I was afraid it would not set up properly with less butter.

tonedna Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

What's your recipe? You can definitely take some butter out if you want. Try a different recipe? The recipe I use takes 6 egg whites, 1 1/3 cups of sugar, 4 sticks of butter, and 1 TBSP (or more if you like) of real vanilla. Adding enough flavoring is HUGE factor in the flavor. You can't have it be bright white... it just won't do in the flavor department. If you think it tastes like butter... add more vanilla and it can transform it into a different thing altogether. I have never had anyone say that my BC tastes like a stick of butter.

I know that somepeople mix SMBC and PS based BC together... maybe that will be your happy medium? icon_smile.gif

I guess it doesnt have to do with anything other than the fact that I a just dont love the butter flavor.. But even with high ratio, I wont eat it. I just cover my cakes so they stay moist, but I much prefer to eat a cake with no frosting.
My favorite frosting ever is the 7 minute frosting, based in eggwhites. Is like marshmallow heaven. And I could eat it from the bowl

I do agree with you, you have to satisfy your costumers, and that's where it boils down too.. When people ask me about recipes I always say to them, remember everybody has a different taste for what they like, so look for what you enjoy eating and go for that.

We had people go to the shop and ask for a whole vegan wedding cake,or a sugarless one. But they forget that not everybody is vegan or has issues with sugar. So then they decide to do kitchen cakes for those special situations, instead of making everybody eat a vegan cake..

By the way...I still miss your old name!!!!can't get used to the new one!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #53 of 64
Quote:

WOW that is soo weird! I use a completly different ratio and I and everyone who eats my cakes thinks its perfect! Doesnt taste like butter at all!
I use 10 eggs, 3.5 sugar & 8 butter.... tastes perfect even without vanilla!

FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:44pm
post #54 of 64

I much prefer to eat naked cake too Edna... I am just not a frosting person at all, but I can eat SMBC (so long as it's properly flavored) just not tons of it. I think it was snarkybaker who said she has mixed the two BC's and it's fine. Yes it will be a different texture... a tiny bit of the grit of PS based BC will be there, but the flavor is good (or at least that's what I've heard as I haven't tried it). I like that SMBC doesn't crust... I don't know if mixing them would make a slightly crusting BC or not.

I have asked to have my name changed back 4 times now with no response. It's frustrating. Even just a no not right now would be nice... but to say nothing? I am going to PM Heath directly I think... maybe the contact page is broken?

tonedna Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:48pm
post #55 of 64
Quote:

I much prefer to eat naked cake too Edna... I am just not a frosting person at all, but I can eat SMBC (so long as it's properly flavored) just not tons of it. I think it was snarkybaker who said she has mixed the two BC's and it's fine. Yes it will be a different texture... a tiny bit of the grit of PS based BC will be there, but the flavor is good (or at least that's what I've heard as I haven't tried it). I like that SMBC doesn't crust... I don't know if mixing them would make a slightly crusting BC or not.

I have asked to have my name changed back 4 times now with no response. It's frustrating. Even just a no not right now would be nice... but to say nothing? I am going to PM Heath directly I think... maybe the contact page is broken?

I am wondering if they are on a honeymoon.
Edna icon_smile.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:53pm
post #56 of 64
Quote:

IDK if you know or not, but you can change it on the profile tab on the left.... but that being said I am sorry I dont think you are really allowed to change your name, because you are my complete idol on here, and how will i find you again?? I didnt "know" you prior to justscratch!

giraffe11 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #57 of 64

Yes, but it won't let you change back to your previous name, b/c the system already has that name on a "taken" list. So, your old name is taken and unavailable, even if it is was previously taken by you. I have this problem as well! I would love to take my old name back. icon_cry.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe11

Yes, but it won't let you change back to your previous name, b/c the system already has that name on a "taken" list. So, your old name is taken and unavailable, even if it is was previously taken by you. I have this problem as well! I would love to take my old name back. icon_cry.gif

Ohhhh i see!!

FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #59 of 64

LOL Cakeanddazzle (and icon_redface.gif)... I'll have the same avatar picture... and attitude... icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:51pm
post #60 of 64

Hey guys does anyone have the Pet milk buttercream recipe? I keep hearing about it but haven't seen it yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%