Troublesome Bride

Business By karateka Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm by karateka

karateka Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 16

I have a bride who is pretty nice, but changeable. She has changed the date and venue on me. Now she wants to add flowers to the cake. She had trouble making up her mind about fondant. I had to bag up fondant samples for her to try AFTER her Free tasting. She wanted another free tasting since her fiance couldn't come to the first one.

Originally I didn't charge for delivery because it was within my town, but then she changed venues to another town that I charge delivery to. She's now questioning me on this "new fee" that isn't in her contract.

I told her I would print up a new one for her to sign. I haven't heard back. The fee is only $11 plus tax....I can't figure why this is such a big deal.

This delivery thing was discussed at their tasting. "Since your reception is in West Chester, there won't be a delivery charge."

Am I being unreasonable? I think I should have been typing up a new contract every time instead of keeping the "changes" emails to staple to it.....but then I'd have done this 4 times already. I'm starting to get the feeling I'm in trouble here. Would you stick to your guns on this?

15 replies
costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 16

Just write up an extra page for her to initial with all the changes. Have her initial EVERY SINGLE CHANGE from the original contract. If she won't initial something (the delivery fee, probably) tell her that the contract that you have her signature on calls for delivery to the original venue, and that you'll be delivering the cake there!

LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 16

Your a saint, cause I would have dropped her.

FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 16

You are not being unreasonable... she is. I would draw up a new contract... with her lack of ability to understand this will leave little room for confusion. icon_rolleyes.gif If she's griping about $11.00 I'd be leary.

marmalade1687 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 16

If there are changes to the contract, then there may be extra fees - plain and simple. Have her initial the changes, especially if she is being such a PITA!

And I wouldn't do a second tasting, just because the groom couldn't be at the first one - tell her to buy a cake from you, or else he can wait for the wedding! icon_twisted.gif

Stick to you guns, and drop her if she won't agree to the new terms of the contract.

cylstrial Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 16

You're going to have to get stern with her and tell her no more changes at some point. She sounds super wishywashy.

creations Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 16

i would rewirte a contact and use it as a new one for all orders and on the bottom line FINE PRINT delivery charge subject to change with in surrounding areas of 15 miles from main office ( ur house or business) i started to charge for delivery and a few have decline delivery that they will pick up the cake I included in my contract im not responible for any damages made to cake once the cake has been handle over also if theres any fixing ill charge a small fee depending on the damage . I HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT IT . good luck and stick to ur guns

artscallion Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 16

The purpose of a tasting is for them to sample the quality of your baking skills and to decide if they want to use you. If they have a contract, then they've already made this decision. There's no reason to have further tastings.

She may be under the misconception that the purpose of a tasting is to help them choose flavors, and granted, some bakers do use tastings for this purpose. But even if that were the case, if you have a contract, aren't the flavors already decided on? I would ask her what the reason for the groom's tasting would be. And I would set a date in the contract after which no changes can be made.

karateka Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 16

I didn't give her another tasting. I told her she already had one, and if she wanted more cake, she had to pay.

I never thought I 'd have to explain this delivery thing to her, since I told her at the tasting that delivery was free since it was in West Chester. She changed the venue after she signed the contract, so it seems logical that there may have been additional charges for changes, right? I did tell her that adding silk or fresh flowers wouldn't cost her anything unless I had to create an arrangement, in which case I'd need a supply fee. She said she'd have the florist do it.

The wedding isn't until the end of September and all she is lacking on payment is $71. I'd hate to drop her....it's my biggest wedding to date, but seriously....she's starting to scare me. She's emailed about the dumbest things that could have been answered by READING her contract. I'm going to have to print up a new one and mail it to her. If she refuses to pay.....then she'd better tell me before the 3 week deadline, or she loses her deposit, too. She says since her aunt is paying for the cake she doesn't want to make her pay additional money that isn't in the contract. I wanted to say that she could pay the $11 plus tax herself if she's that concerned about it......but I have discovered that I really shouldn't say most of what pops into my head.

I just wasn't sure how stern I should be over $11 plus tax. I really hate confrontation. Sigh.

cylstrial Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 16

Well, since it's $11 maybe you should you should just eat it this time and put a the mileage in the contract from now on. With an additional clause that states any changes to the contract will result in additional fees. Or something like that. It's up to you.

costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

She says since her aunt is paying for the cake she doesn't want to make her pay additional money that isn't in the contract. I wanted to say that she could pay the $11 plus tax herself if she's that concerned about it......but I have discovered that I really shouldn't say most of what pops into my head.

I just wasn't sure how stern I should be over $11 plus tax. I really hate confrontation. Sigh.

You need to point out to her (and yourself, now I'm going to be confrontational with you! icon_wink.gif ) that the contract that you have with her is for a different date and venue than what she wants you to do now. You need to rewrite a new contract and have her sign it. It sounds like this is one client that you need to get under control, and fast.

Mensch Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:38pm
post #12 of 16

Auuugghh! Why are you letting her run your business?

cambo Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #13 of 16

Oh how I feel your pain! I would stick to my guns about the $11...it may just be $11, but could very easily be a lot more than that, and a contract is a contract! I have a 1-line blurb at the very bottom of my contract (below were they sign they signatures) that states "ANY AND ALL changes made to this contract after it is signed could result in additional fees"....something like that, and I have the bride/groom initial that line at the time they sign the contract. That way I'm covered when a bride states "I just don't want to have to pay any more money than the contract states"!

Good luck....and let us know how it turns out!
Stick to your guns!

marmalade1687 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:38pm
post #14 of 16

I agree with Cambo and Mensch - it may only be $11 NOW, but what happens if you say oh well, it's only $11, so I'll let it go this time, and the bride thinks that well, she let me get away with it last time, so I'll see what else I can get for free!! She's taking advantage of the fact that you don't like confrontation - stick to your guns, and it will get easier! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #15 of 16

So what did you decide to do karateka?

karateka Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm
post #16 of 16

Well.....I told her that indeed it wasn't in her contract, that I would type another one up for her. I haven't heard back.

She had said she would email me a picture of the flowers she wants and how she wants them on the cake, so I was hoping to get that before I revised the contract, so I wouldn't have to do it again.

I figure maybe I'll call her today or tomorrow and see if she has the pic, then tell her a new contract will be in the mail shortly. I guess I'll know something by Monday or Tuesday. I appreciate all the input.

My problem is that my whole life I've been told how hard line and direct I am, and how I "always look mad" so I bend over backwards to be pleasing and pleasant......I don't want to be taken advantage of, though. So sometimes I'm not sure what is just being a good businesswoman and what is just being bitchy. Probably a good reason for not opening a storefront. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll let you know how it shakes out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%