Luster Dust

Decorating By tab_stout Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 6:41am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

tab_stout Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 10

I have been reading on luster dust and that it works best by mixing it with Vodka or Everclear, but I am making a cake for someone, who I know would not want either of those on there cake. What is the best alternative to these? I would appreciate any feed back, thanks.

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 10

you can also use clear vanilla extract or lemon extract however I have heard that lemon oil will bleed through the color so.....

babykonst Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 10

i dont think you can actually taste the vodka after it dries, but dont quote me on that!! lol, anyhoo i also heard you can use lemon juice as well hth!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 10

you can also use clear vanilla extract or lemon extract however I have heard that lemon oil will bleed through the color so.....by the way there is no aftertaste of vodka or everclear so I doubt your friend will even know.

KatieKake Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 10

lemon extract works I have heard, never used it myself. I think it also has alcohol in it and I am thinking that that is the reason you don't want to use the vodka or everclear.

You could try water and see what happens, the reason for using the alcohol is that it drys very fast and doesn't melt the sugar in the frosting.

babykonst Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 10

i dont think you can actually taste the vodka after it dries, but dont quote me on that!! lol, anyhoo i also heard you can use lemon juice as well hth!!

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 10

The vodka or everclear will evaporate totally. There is alcohol in clear vanilla extract too.

tab_stout Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the advise, greatly appreciate it. May be I will just use the Everclear or Vodka, since it leaves no taste and the alcohol evaporates. Thanks alot!!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:39am
post #9 of 10

I wouldn't try water. It will make any coloured icing/fondant run, or at least thin out where you brush it. Besides, you use so little Vodka (or whatever you use), you never really taste anything.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:41am
post #10 of 10

I wouldn't try water. It will make any coloured icing/fondant run, or at least thin out where you brush it. Besides, you use so little Vodka (or whatever you use), you never really taste anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%