Fruity Fillings

Decorating By mkm25 Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm by mkm25

mkm25 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 18

Hello! I posted this on the Gourmet Flavors thread, but no one replied so I'll try again. I'd REALLY appreciate some help on this! Thanks!

1. I have a customer who wants fresh strawberries and buttercream filling in a cake. I've put fresh strawberries in a cake before and they got very liquid-y. It made the cake mushy even! How do I avoid this?

2. I have another customer who'd like passion-fruit flavored buttercream filling. I can't find passion fruit extract, jam, etc. Does anyone have a suggestion for me???

17 replies
mkm25 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 18

One more question! Don't you have to refrigerate cakes that have cream cheese in the filling?

mcdonald Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 18

from Food and Wine website (this is your standard curd filling just using passion fruit)

FILLING3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup passion fruit nectar or puree
4 egg yolks
1 vanilla beansplit, seeds scraped
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons

In a saucepan, whisk the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in the passion fruit nectar, egg yolks and vanilla seeds and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until thick, 6 minutes. Remove from the heat; whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until incorporated. Scrape the filling into a glass bowl, press a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.

mkm25 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 18

mdconald, thank you for the recipe! Do you know where I can buy passion fruit nectar/puree? I can't find it in my grocery store.

mcdonald Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 18

do you have any specialty grocery stores around your area???? I get mine at Market Street ..

mcdonald Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 18

or if you can get some passion fruit and drop it in your chopper.

In answer to your other questions.. try putting a thin layer of buttercream on your cake before you layer your strawberries. I do that with my fillings so they don't seep in the cake.

I do keep a cake with cream cheese in the fridg. doesn't have to stay there the whole time but I don't let it sit out over night.. there might be others that say they do though...

mkm25 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 18

I have a Fresh Market, I'll check there. Thanks!

If you put buttercream down before the fresh strawberries, do you find that there's a lot of juice around the strawberries when you slice the cake?

mcdonald Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 18

I have only done real strawberries one time and I had pretty good luck.. not a lot of seep.. maybe it has something to do with how ripe the strawberry is?? I am not sure..... which I could help more... don't use "real" very much .. prefer preservatives instead I guess!! Somethings not right about that !!!!

mkm25 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 18

Haha! I'm the same way! Preservatives are so much easier to use and they don't go bad as quickly! Yea, there probably is something wrong with us. Oh, well! Anyway, that's why I'm so nervous about doing a cake with real fruit.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 18

There is a technique used in pie making to prevent this as well. Melt some strawberry jam in the microwave. Paint the lower cake with the melted jam before damming and filling. The jam will cool and act as a barrier to the juiciness of the berries. Also, combining a cooked puree with the fresh berries will help to contain the extra berry juice. I use the puree recipe from Joy of Cooking fresh berry pie for exactly what you are doing.

dhccster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

There is a technique used in pie making to prevent this as well. Melt some strawberry jam in the microwave. Paint the lower cake with the melted jam before damming and filling. The jam will cool and act as a barrier to the juiciness of the berries. Also, combining a cooked puree with the fresh berries will help to contain the extra berry juice. I use the puree recipe from Joy of Cooking fresh berry pie for exactly what you are doing.

That's a great idea. thumbs_up.gif I love fresh fruit and would love to try this.

chipolata Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:32pm
post #12 of 18

Whenever I have used fresh strawberries it has always been with whipped cream so I just mix the 2 together for the filling. Never seeps this way.

chipolata Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm
post #13 of 18

Whenever I have used fresh strawberries it has always been with whipped cream so I just mix the 2 together for the filling. Never seeps this way.

chipolata Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 18

mkm25 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 18

If I fill a cake with fresh fruit (ie. bananas or strawberries), do I have to refrigerate it?

chipolata Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:11pm
post #16 of 18

I always do, just in case.

anku Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:46am
post #17 of 18

Can anybody tell me from where can I get Guava puree???

Thanks in advance!

mkm25 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #18 of 18

Check the ethnic foods aisle at your grocery store. I know they have a lot of guava stuff there.

If you're just flavoring your buttercream, you can mix in guava jam - which is shelved with the rest of the jam in my grocery store (Publix). icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%