Dice Shaped Cake Bites

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 4:35pm by varika

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 21

I'm thinking of making mini bite cakes in shape of dice for my bunco night, but do I mold the dice shape by hand or is there a mold?

20 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 21

What a cute idea!! Please post a picture if you make these!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 21

I would make a sheetcake and cut even squares out of it.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 21

I would do them like petit fours...

Or if you wanted to do them like cake balls you could just shape them into squares by hand...

JaimeAnn Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 21

I found these in Google images ... I did not make these I would give credit to whomever did but I don't know who did...
Anyways they are really cute ..
LL
LL

cakelovincrazy Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I would do them like petit fours...

Or if you wanted to do them like cake balls you could just shape them into squares by hand...

Thanks for the images, that is exactly what I was thinking. I'm new to baking, what do you mean by doing them like petit fours?
I was thinking of using the melting chocolates and pouring over them. Do you think that would be smooth enough?

I don't have a cutter the shape of dice. Any suggestions on what I could use to make my own shape?

JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #7 of 21

I would bake a sheet cake , level, torte, fill (very thin filling). Then using a ruler I would cut the sheet in even squares. It would help to freeze the cake before slicing.

You can use candy melts , melted white chocolate, or poured fondant to cover them. If you use candy melts add 1 Tablespoon shortening to each bag while melting.
There are a few other threads going on right now about people having trouble with using melted white chocolate.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:32am
post #8 of 21

I made the ones in the second pic (all six sided dice). I used the top piece from Kathy Scott's square mini-cake molds. It was the only square mold I could find with STRAIGHT sides!

I only have one mold, so it was a bit time consuming, but I think it was worth it for the look.

They are cake ball filling inside a candy shell.

JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:44am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I made the ones in the second pic (all six sided dice). I used the top piece from Kathy Scott's square mini-cake molds. It was the only square mold I could find with STRAIGHT sides!

I only have one mold, so it was a bit time consuming, but I think it was worth it for the look.

COOL... I am glad you found this thread to claim your work! They are really great..

Like I said in my post I wish I had known who made them so I could give credit..

So did you just mush the cakeball mixture into the mold to form them?

DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

So did you just mush the cakeball mixture into the mold to form them?

Pretty much. I filled the mold with white choc, let it set for a minutue, then poured out the excess. Let it set up in frig. Crammed cake ball mixture in, then topped with more white choc.

cakelovincrazy Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:

Those look great, shaped perfectly! I don't have the mold, so I think I will try the ruler method and just cut them out of a sheet cake, then use candy melts over them. icon_smile.gif
Thanks for all of the great tips everyone!

DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 21

Good luck with the candy melts over cake. I've never been impressed with my results.

I would suggest letting them set up on a flat surface (cookie sheet, e.g.) rather than on a cooling rack, as some people do. Sure, the excess coating drips off, but then you make an even bigger mess trying to pry the petit fours off the rack!

On a flat surface, you can just take a warm sharp blade and trim off the foot (excess choc).

JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:

Good luck with the candy melts over cake. I've never been impressed with my results.

I would suggest letting them set up on a flat surface (cookie sheet, e.g.) rather than on a cooling rack, as some people do. Sure, the excess coating drips off, but then you make an even bigger mess trying to pry the petit fours off the rack!

On a flat surface, you can just take a warm sharp blade and trim off the foot (excess choc).

I agree much easier to clean up the edges on a cookie sheet.. I don't like doing them on a cooling rack...

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #14 of 21

If you're going to pour candy melts over pourous cake cubes, try brushing them with apricot glaze or simple syrup first. You can find recipes for both in the recipe section. This will plug up the holes, so to speak, and give you a much smoother surface to pour the chocolate over.

cakelovincrazy Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:11am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

If you're going to pour candy melts over pourous cake cubes, try brushing them with apricot glaze or simple syrup first. You can find recipes for both in the recipe section. This will plug up the holes, so to speak, and give you a much smoother surface to pour the chocolate over.

Great tip! Thanks!

Do you know if Bakers Chocolate would work the same as candy melts? I have a daughter with a severe peanut allergy and the Bakers Chocolate is the only one that is peanut safe. She is my offical taste tester icon_lol.gif and I can't imagine making something that she couldn't have.
If it works the same, would I still need to add shortening to it as someone mentioned previously about the candy melts?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #16 of 21

JamieAnn - love the picture of the actual dice! So cute!

As for bunko - I just had to leave my bunko group since we are moving. I'm sad. Hopefully, I'll find a new one to join. It was so much fun!

cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:18am
post #17 of 21

As for bunko - I just had to leave my bunko group since we are moving. I'm sad. Hopefully, I'll find a new one to join. It was so much fun!

cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:19am
post #18 of 21

varika Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:44am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelovincrazy

Do you know if Bakers Chocolate would work the same as candy melts?
If it works the same, would I still need to add shortening to it as someone mentioned previously about the candy melts?

It would melt the same, but you might want to taste it first--it's been my experience that Baker's Chocolate is a bit more bitter than the candy bar kind. And it would help if you added the shortening or paramount crystals, yes. It helps it melt more easily and smoothly.

cakelovincrazy Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

Do you know if Bakers Chocolate would work the same as candy melts?

It would melt the same, but you might want to taste it first--it's been my experience that Baker's Chocolate is a bit more bitter than the candy bar kind. And it would help if you added the shortening or paramount crystals, yes. It helps it melt more easily and smoothly.

What are paramount crystals and where would I find them? Can I add some sugar to sweeten it, PS or granulated sugar and how wold I do that to make it sweeter?
Thank you for all of your wonderful help and answers. icon_smile.gif

varika Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:35pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:

What are paramount crystals and where would I find them? Can I add some sugar to sweeten it, PS or granulated sugar and how wold I do that to make it sweeter?
Thank you for all of your wonderful help and answers. icon_smile.gif

Paramount crystals are a tasteless type of fat crystals that help make your chocolate more fluid and a bit easier to work with. I buy mine from the local candy-and-cake supply store. As for the making it sweeter, I don't know of any way to add anything in the way of sugar at that stage without leaving the chocolate seized and/or grainy. You could try it with like one square of the chocolate and see if you can get it to work, though; you might be able to if you're also adding fats.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%