Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #33 of 57

Thank You

Molly

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:30am
post #34 of 57

Hmmm... I had not used my Wilton leveler for years (sporadic baker/decorator) and when I did a couple of weeks ago, the dang blade kept falling out. I see the OP mentioned that the blade is held in place by cotter pins.

I didn't see any cotter pins and don't remember using them with the leveler before, but I'm way past remembering age!! Are there cotter pins with the Wilton leveler? If so, I've lost mine.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:40pm
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Hmmm... I had not used my Wilton leveler for years (sporadic baker/decorator) and when I did a couple of weeks ago, the dang blade kept falling out. I see the OP mentioned that the blade is held in place by cotter pins.

I didn't see any cotter pins and don't remember using them with the leveler before, but I'm way past remembering age!! Are there cotter pins with the Wilton leveler? If so, I've lost mine.

I just checked mine again and yes there are cotter pins holding the blade in the leveler. They are bent once through the blade so I dont know how it fell out. Its an easy fix at least. Cotter pins are pennies at home depot or lowes icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:12pm
post #36 of 57

If you used the cutting board to make the feet could you get some of those small slide things that you can put under furniture, etc. to make it glide on the counter?

Peridot Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #37 of 57

If you used the cutting board to make the feet could you get some of those small slide things that you can put under furniture, etc. to make it glide on the counter?

Peridot Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:16pm
post #38 of 57

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

I don't know but our cutting board (the one we will be cutting up) Glides easily on the table and counter. It is a thick white one and actually looks similar the uhmw plastic.

mrsclox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsclox Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #40 of 57

I did the same thing, only I just glued on pieces of 1/2" foam board. It helped stabilize it a little more, but I'm still not too impressed with the large Wilton cake leveler. I think the blade bows as it moves through a dense cake so it ends up cutting little hills and valleys in my large cakes.

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:08pm
post #41 of 57

I was wondering if there was a DIY version of the Agbay. Thanks for posting so the rest of us don't have to re-create the wheel.

Off to convince my uber-handy dad to make one for me...

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:01pm
post #42 of 57

Great thread!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:10pm
post #43 of 57

I went to the Dollar Tree and found a cheap ($1) cutting board that was perfectly smooth and had no groves or anything. It works great to cut out fondant and gumpast on. I bet that would work for the leveler skis.

momma28 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

I went to the Dollar Tree and found a cheap ($1) cutting board that was perfectly smooth and had no groves or anything. It works great to cut out fondant and gumpast on. I bet that would work for the leveler skis.

FANTASTIC!!!

The bowing blade comment has come up a couple of times. All I can say is that once I super stabilized the leveler I never had that problem again. I dont think that foam core is really strong enough. The uhmw will not bow at all and keeps the leveler...well...level LOL

momma28 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

FANTASTIC!!!

The bowing blade comment has come up a couple of times. All I can say is that once I super stabilized the leveler I never had that problem again. I dont think that foam core is really strong enough. The uhmw will not bow at all and keeps the leveler...well...level LOL

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #46 of 57

Wow! Reading all of this gives me hope again. I will have to go and dig mine out of the closet and ask my hubby to help me. That is where I threw it last time when I got frustrated with it! icon_smile.gif Thank you momma28!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #47 of 57

This is great. Thanks for the tip.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:59am
post #48 of 57

Excellent tip to save a lot of dough, thanks! thumbs_up.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:03am
post #49 of 57

Excellent tip to save a lot of dough, thanks! thumbs_up.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:12am
post #50 of 57

Wow! This is a great thread

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:04pm
post #51 of 57

Thanks for the tip in the leveler!!

momma28 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:46pm
post #52 of 57

I will tell my hubby and his friend that you said thanks icon_smile.gif It was his idea. Happy levelingicon_smile.gif

momma28 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #53 of 57

I will tell my hubby and his friend that you said thanks icon_smile.gif It was his idea. Happy levelingicon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #54 of 57

Has anyone found the UHMW plastic at Lowe's or Home Depot? A salesman at Lowe's said each of their stores has different inventory, so one might carry it while others do not. Can anyone tell me what the intended use is for UHMW?

banhbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banhbo Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 12:54pm
post #55 of 57

Could anybody please upload the picture originally posted by Momma28  ?

I just found this thread, and i can't see the picture. Maybe it's been too long - the Agbay has gone up to $229, completely  out of budget for me 

Thanks

BB

HollieN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollieN Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 8:58pm
post #56 of 57

Me too. I didn't see the picture, so had no idea how to recreate one like hers. 

HollieN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollieN Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 12:49am
post #57 of 57

Momma28, do you still have the picture of your modified leveler?  Would love to see how it was done, so we could make one, too.  Just can't picture it by reading everyone's thread without seeing the picture.   Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%