You Want Me To What?

Business By aminthepm Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm by Kiddiekakes

aminthepm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminthepm Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while but I've just had the weirdest request & wanted some advice as to what to do.

A lady phoned me at 3 & left a voicemail. She wants me to "fondant ice a small christmas cake".

She said "It is for a business, and we understand that you might not be too happy icing a cake you haven't made yourself but we would actually pay quite well as it is a (muffled) for a business."

So, my question is would you do it?

If I did do it should I get them to sign some sort of 'only decorations provided by company name, client agrees full responsibility for rest of cake?' I'm mindful that if something went wrong the guests wouldn't know I'd only provided the decorations.

Help!

4 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 5

you mean they are providing the cake?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 5

is it a Christmas in July thing? I'd ask seriously if they have to use their cake. I would sell a decoration. I wouldn't apply it to anyone else's cake. Too many weird things out there. So if it was a 10" round and they wanted you to make up a circle decoration that they could slide on? I'd do that for 85% of regular cost. Then they'll probably buy the whole cake anyway.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 5

I wouldn't do it, what if it's an ex-lax cake? Not that it's likely, but I wouldn't want to get involved with decorating something that someone else made. The ex-lax issue aside, you can't know how the sanitation was where the cake was baked, etc. etc.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 5

My Mom has done this quite often before with her wedding cake business.Alot of brides have special traditions and fruitcake or Jamaican cake that only a family member or mother knows how to make traditionally.It is quite common however I would put a clause in there that you are not responsible for the cake itself as it was provided to you ..yadda yadda yadda..You know what to add.Just cover your butt!!! I would do it...fruitcakes are very difficlut and expensive to make right!! Just make sure you make it worth your time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%