Stressing Out Here (Long And Not Cake-Related)

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm by mrspriss0912

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 4

My husband works and I stay home with the kids. We've done that since 2005 when my youngest was born. We don't have a lot of money but we budget carefully and we manage.

Anyhow, there have been rumors going around at my husband's work that the place is running out of money. It's a nonprofit that has only been around for three years. They had donations and grants to open up but they didn't realize they wouldn't make any money once they were open. The acting director just left and now there are rumors among the staff that's left that instead of being there to turn the place around and save it after the first director wasted tons of money, this one was there to siphon off money to return the donation of the man who built the place. The newest acting director does nothing but scream at the office staff about why there's no money, and where could it have gone. They're saying things have gotten so bad that the phones will be shut off next week. They actually asked all of the employees to donate money to the place.

My husband is not in a position where any of the money problems at the place could be blamed on him in any way. That's not what I'm worried about...I'm just afraid that they won't have money to pay the employees and won't tell them until they've already worked the hours. And my husband won't look for a different job because he has vacation time saved up that he wants to use.

I told him I'm afraid that when it's time to get his paycheck, it just won't be there...and that he will have already worked 3 weeks unpaid for the place (2 weeks on that check and 1 week going toward the next check) before he finds out. And then he'll have to work at least 2 weeks at some other job...it's hard not to live paycheck-to-paycheck when your paychecks are just enough to cover rent and bills, so we'd be screwed.

I told my husband I'd go find a job (although after almost 5 years of not working, I wonder how hard it would be to find one). He said to trust him and to just wait. That's really hard to do, I'm just so nervous right now.

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 4

It's always hard to trust your spouse in a situation like this especially when you know the end result could impact you significantly.I too stay home with my kids and hubby is the sole income earner.Many times when he was self employed in construction and we never knew what job was next or if there was one..Very Stressful..He since got out and was offered a position at a home renovation giant as their commercial sales manager.Finding a job in these economic times is hard...especially in the US where you were hit 10 times worse than Canada...We are actually very stable here but it wasn't to say that jobs weren't lost here also as they were but only in the auto sector and mostly down east in Ontario.Have faith....trust him but maybe look around a bit and see what you can find.Everything happens for a reason and when one door shuts...another one opens!!

kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 4

Offering prayers for your sanity and peace. May your loving Father give you strength to see you thru this trying time. If God leads you to it He will see you through it!
I cannot remember ever going thru such hard, trying times so I can't say I know how you feel.

mrspriss0912 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 4

I totally understand where you are comming from !!!! I am the one working in our family and DH dose repair work on the side for right now simular situation his employer brought in a new guy and he did everything in his power to get DH to quit and he had to in the end. No it isnt easy on one income no matter how careful you are wth money. I do agree that he needs to be looking for something else just in case.... It is hard on the one working remember that he is stressed about the rumors too and knowing he is the sole income it makes him just as nervous but if he says trust him then do so I am sure he has been asking around at work to make since of the rumors. I will be praying for you all that everything works out for the best!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%