I Can't Decide! Two Cake Flavors In A Layered Cake?

Decorating By Munchkinette Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm by TexasSugar

Munchkinette Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 16

I'm making my niece and nephew's birthday cake, but instead of doing one big cake, I decided to make two mini cakes so they can each have their own cake and then one regular cake for the rest of the family & guests at the party. This means I have to use two cake mixes and I thought I would use both white and chocolate. I would alternate the layers with white and chocolate cake with buttercreamefilling in between the layers, does this sound good? And for the regular cake would you do a sheet cake or a round layer cake? I can't decide!

15 replies
in2cakes2 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 16

I do two flavors alot, though I would take into account what the B-day kids like best ie.. if one likes choco and the other likes van. otherwise you sound good to go. As for the larger cake it kinda depends on how many you need to serve and what design you want to do, is it going to be decorated like the minis. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

mtaccts Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 16

I have several customers (sort of a related bunch of folks) that order their cakes "horizontal half and half" - meaning they want one layer of one flavor and one layer of another - more often than not it winds up being chocolate and vanilla. A new summer favorite for them has been lemon and vanilla with raspberry mousse filling.

As far as the shape is concerned - your needed # of servings and maybe overall design may dictate that.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 16

This is a blank canvas. Have fun. Sheet, round, layer, square, heart. it's all OK. What do you want to do? Topsey turvey, cupcakes.. the optiona are endless... Get mixing and have some fun.

And different layers different flavors? All the time. Especially van/choc. Other flavors, just make them compatible.

mtaccts Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 16

I have several customers (sort of a related bunch of folks) that order their cakes "horizontal half and half" - meaning they want one layer of one flavor and one layer of another - more often than not it winds up being chocolate and vanilla. A new summer favorite for them has been lemon and vanilla with raspberry mousse filling.

As far as the shape is concerned - your needed # of servings and maybe overall design may dictate that.

nadine_n Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 16

I've done a chocolate layer and a vanilla layer. I'm a true amatuer (sp?), and it's an easy cop-out since I'm intimidated by baking a single cake layer half choc. and half van.

lapazlady Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 16

Cakes with chocolate and strawberry are frequently requested here. Another is banana and pineapple. Have fun playing with flavors.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 16

I love the chocolate and white cake together. Often times when I do them I will use oreo filling between the two flavors.

Munchkinette Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks everyone! Oreo filling, that sounds yummy! And then it make it so much better then either just plain chocolate or vanilla buttercream. Do you just crush up oreos and add them to your vanilla buttercream? Or do you have a specfic recipe you use? Would you mind sharing it? Thanks!

ljdills Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 16

Lapazlady,
If you don't mind sharing... What filling do you use with your chocolate/strawberry combination and with the banana/pineapple combination?

DeeDelightful Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine_n

I've done a chocolate layer and a vanilla layer. I'm a true amatuer (sp?), and it's an easy cop-out since I'm intimidated by baking a single cake layer half choc. and half van.

Just hold one bowl in each hand, take a deep breath and pour them both in the middle. They will run together, meet in the middle and then you can scrape one bowl clean and then scrape the other bowl clean. It works for me. I was stressing out about making a straight line, using a divider in the pan and all of that, until one day i just said forget it and poured. It works! And so what if you have marble in the middle, that's a bonus! icon_biggrin.gif

lapazlady Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdills

Lapazlady,
If you don't mind sharing... What filling do you use with your chocolate/strawberry combination and with the banana/pineapple combination?

For the chocolate and strawberry, I've used both chocolate fudge and strawberry mousse. The banana/pineapple is almost always pineapple (with creamcheese) filling. I used the maple filling (here on CC) the last time. My husband thought it was the best filling he'd ever tasted.

dhccster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine_n

Just hold one bowl in each hand, take a deep breath and pour them both in the middle. They will run together, meet in the middle and then you can scrape one bowl clean and then scrape the other bowl clean. It works for me. I was stressing out about making a straight line, using a divider in the pan and all of that, until one day i just said forget it and poured. It works! And so what if you have marble in the middle, that's a bonus! icon_biggrin.gif

I never knew how that was done. Thanks for sharing.

jenng1482 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:03pm
post #14 of 16

I make and Oreo filling by whipping cream until stiff, blend in a little powdered sugar and a dash of merigue powder, then fold in crushed up sandwich cookies. I have gotten great reviews of this. Of course, it cant sit out for too long though.

canuelas4 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 16

chocolate and vanilla sound delicious. It is no different than a marble cake.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm
post #16 of 16

I add crushed (in big chunks) oreos to my regular thin buttercream so I don't have to worry about refrigeration for it. I don't measure it, just throw some in until I get the amount I want. icon_smile.gif The oreos will soften in the buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%