Speed Up The Process..

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 12:11am by ZlatkaT

ZlatkaT Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 5

When you crumb coat your cake, is it necessary to leave the cake overnight in the fridge? I need to speed up the process of crumb coating and frosting to one day, as I will have perishable fillings. Would that be ok if I crumb coat, leave in the fridge to crust, than ice the cake. Also to speed up crusting, do you think it is a good idea to put it in the fridge to crust, then smooth?? I did one practice cake this way, it crust faster in the fridge, but I had only a little time to work with that icing as it gets soft again soon. Is that because I was putting the cake in and out of the fridge so may times in a short intervals?

4 replies
Charmed Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 5

I put my crumb coated cakes in the refrigerator to crust. then I ice and smooth them.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 5

The reason you want to let your cake sit for a while after you crumb coat is so your cake can settle. These helps eliminate the bulge issues and those nasty air bubbles/pockets. A few hours is usually enough, though longer is nice if you have it.

I never put my cakes in the fridge. My icing crusts in under 15 mins so I really don't have to speed it up. Plus I worry about condensation issues where I am. You can't even leave a bottle of water out of the fridge for 5 mins here with out the outside of the bottle being covered in water.

costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 5

I crumb coat cakes then ice them right after that. No fridge, not necessarily any settling time, nothing. If you press down on them when you put the layers together it generally forces any air out, so you don't necessarily need to let them sit to avoid bulging.

I will say, though, that I don't use icing dams or sleeved fruit fillings, so that minimizes bulging anyway.

ZlatkaT Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:11am
post #5 of 5

Thank you, I just learn something now. I always though crumb coated cake must be refrigerated - never know why, but have seen this all the time. So the bottom line I am good to proceed the all 3 tier cake in one day. Crumb Coat and after it crust do the frosting, then refrigerate for little bit, and stacked them. Refrigerate overnight, than do the scroll work and delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%