How To Make A Shoe Box Cake??

Decorating By hedwards41302 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 9:24pm by bashini

hedwards41302 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 9

I have never did anything like this before. I have already made the high heel and it turned out great!! Now, I need to know how to make the shoe box. I want to make the ones like I have seen on CC where the top is off and it has paper coming out of it. I'm completely in the dark here!! What kind of pan do I use? How do I do the lid? Please help me!!!! I have to have this ready by Saturday!! The only thing is most ppl on here cover the whole thing in fondant but my client doesn't want fondant. I will do the box top in fondant if need be but I want to do the actual box in buttercream and just add zebra fondant stripes!! Thanks so much I know that was an ear full!

icon_cry.gif

8 replies
Sweet_Guys Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 9

Get Sharon Zambito's (Sugar Shack's) DVD called "Boxes and Bows". She goes into different styles using gumpaste, fondant, buttercream, etc...

HTH

Paul (& Peter)

Sweet_Guys Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 9

Get Sharon Zambito (Sugar Shack) DVD called "Boxes and Bows". She does examples for all types of mediums. It is AWESOME!!!

HTH

Paul (& Peter)

Sweet_Guys Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 9

Get Sharon Zambito (Sugar Shack) DVD called "Boxes and Bows". She does examples for all types of mediums. It is AWESOME!!!

HTH

Paul (& Peter)

HG0265 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 9

I'm not sure if I'll be of any help as I'm not an expert. I just made a gift box using a square cake. Covered it with fondant and then used another piece of fondant an inch larger then the actual cake for the lid.

Bellatheball Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 9

I have mine here: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1348839

I made the cake in a square pan and then cut it in half. I torted each layer and filled it. Cover in fondant. I think I used a 9 inch square pan (not positive!). To get the lid, I flipped over a loaf pan and put gumpaste on top of it. Trim it to get the look you want. I let it dry for a few days. Finally I made the tissue by cutting squares of gumpaste and letting them dry on crumpled up tin foil.

When it comes time to assemble, I put two dowels in one end of the cake. Each dowel was about an inch taller than the cake itself. Put the lid on the "box" and the dowels will lift it up a bit. Tuck the "tissue around it and secure with icing.

HTH

bashini Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 9
cylstrial Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 9

Bashini - that link is awesome!! Thanks!

bashini Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Bashini - that link is awesome!! Thanks!

You are welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%