Need Help With Ganache

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 12:21pm by pumpkinroses

pumpkinroses Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:44am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

I've made ganache a couple of times but have always added it to BC. I now have a bride that wants a chocolate brown cake with cornflower blue accents. I mentioned to her chocolate fondant but now I've been thinking of the ganache but I have a few questions if you all would be kind enough to answer before I mention it to the bride.

Do I just fill the cake and then cover in ganache or is there a crumb coat of some kind?

Does it melt easily once it's set? (I don't know if the reception is indoors or outdoors yet)

If I cover a dummy cake with plastic wrap and then coat in ganache, can it be rewarmed and used again?

When I go to pour, I would start at the top middle and work out to the edges, right?

I'll be using the SPS system, is it forgiving around the bottom when stacking?

I'll probably think of more but here's a start and I appreciate any help.

TIA
Nikki

7 replies
pumpkinroses Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 8

please, any advice would be appreciated!

dandelion56602 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 8

You can fill and cover, no need to crumb coat. But if you want it smooth (no gaps between layers) crumb coat w/ buttercream

Yes it will melt easily. It will not tolerate heat

Don't know if you can resuse the ganache b/c it will perish after a few days

Yes, start in the middle & guide it down the sides.

Don't know what you mean about SPS being forgiving. There will be a gap unless you cut your dowels slightly shorter than the cake. Remember w/ SPS that there is the SPS plate plus the cardboard & you'll have abou 1/8" gap b/c of the two.

HTH

saffronica Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 8

I agree that you don't have to use a crumb coat, but I think you'll be a lot happier if you do. I like to use a thin coating (thicker than a crumb coat, but not as much as if I'm icing the cake) of chocolate BC or whipped ganache. As you guide it from the top down the sides, you may have to use a spatula to patch some spots; the chocolate icing helps it blend better than white. Again, I don't know much about SPS, but if you let the leftover ganache cool for a while you can do a simple border out of firmer ganache to cover any gaps.

pumpkinroses Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks you both of the information. The cakes will have a fondant ribbon border that i can use the cover up the bottom edges. I just didn't know if fingerprints show easily or sometimes I like lift the bottom fondant edges by accident when stacking the cakes.

dandelion56602 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 8

I would put the border on after stacking. That way you could cover up a gap if there is one. I haven't done it but you may can smooth it with a hot dry spatula if you bump it. Might give it a practice before doing it on the cake

cocobean Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:54am
post #7 of 8

I always frost the cake with frosting then cover in ganache.

After stacking you can place a brown ribbon around the bottom to hide the gap. (I wish I had done that on a stacked wedding cake that I had done). I see if I can post the picture! (The top tier is the one that needed it)!
LL

pumpkinroses Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much cocobean for the picture and advice. The cake is going to have a fondant cornflower blue ribbon around the bottom so that should hide any gaps then.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%