Ruffle Border With Fondant

Decorating By manomi Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm by icer101

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:30am
post #1 of 5

Hi, Can anyone please tell me how to make the ruffle border like at the bottom of the barbie doll cake dress? I have read that u use a tooth pick for that but it doesn't work for me..I can't even finda a video for that...Please help..

I am attaching a pic for an example.
Thanks
LL

4 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 5

this is done using garret frill cutters. there are 2 kinds of frill cutters, straight and circular cutters.
here is a link just scroll down to see it:
http://bakingproject.com/index.php/2008/04/12/sugarpaste-3d-figures.html

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 5

If you don't have a garrett frill cutter, but have circular cutters in various sizes, you can accomplish this. Roll out paste moderately thin, cut with a large cutter. Then use a smaller cuter and remove the inner circle. This leave a thin round band. Using a toothpick, position it on the edge of the paste. Apply pressure and roll back and forth. Do it in small sections. Hope this helps.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 5

If you don't have a garrett frill cutter, but have circular cutters in various sizes, you can accomplish this. Roll out paste moderately thin, cut with a large cutter. Then use a smaller cuter, cut and remove the inner circle. This leaves a thin round band. Using a toothpick, position it on the edge of the paste. Apply pressure and roll back and forth. Do it in small sections. Hope this helps.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 5

you can just roll out fondant/g/p... cut a strip... dust cornstarch first. then roll out and cut strip. dust little cornstarch over top take a small skewer and anything round.. and press on edge.. roll. count 1-2-3... move skewer just in front of where you stop... roll again pressing skewer.. count 1-2-3.. this counting is just to help you learn and then you're on your own.. ha! then after placing it around skirt. layers at a time.. take your skewer or tool you might have for this and lift up in place all around skirt. the bulbous tool by pme is a great tool for ruffling. just about anything is .. hth the little dusting of cornstarch under and litely on top of anything you ruffle helps anything to ruffle great..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%