Too Moist? - Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge

Decorating By mistymamas Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm by grama_j

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:31am
post #1 of 3

This sounds strange and silly - but I used a Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge box cake and it came out TOO moist. It looks beautiful, completely cooked through (I trimmed the tops and it is thoroughly cooked).

But once it hits your mouth, it practically melts and tastes like batter. Has the consistency of batter also once its in your mouth for a few seconds. I heard the term "melt in your mouth" but this does not taste or feel right. there is no consistency to the cake, you dont even have to chew it. Does not seem right. I feel like I should go back to my Duncan Hines german chocolate boxed cake. That one always came out perfect.

What happened? I followed the recipe to the T.

2 replies
MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:32am
post #2 of 3

I have never made just the box, I do make an enhanced recipe I got off the Wilton site under a posting by cassandracakes...I only use half the butter it calls for, and everyone loves this cake... I tried 4-5 different recipes and this was the favorite, everyone told me not to go back to any other recipe... I personally do not like chocolate cake so I am relaying on my taste testers...... I was a little nervous about how much water it calls for, but I have read other post on chocolate recipes and they always say its more water for chocolate cakes... I made the it once with a different brand of cake mix (I forget which one) and they could tell and asked me what I did different and that they did not like it as much, I was surprised they could tell.

DELICIOUS LARGE QUANTITY CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX

2 Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mixes
1 Box (small)Chocolate Fudge Pudding
2 Cups Flour
6 Eggs
2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 Sticks Butter or Marg.
1-1/2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Oil
4 Cups Water(or cold coffee)

1/2 RECIPE

1 Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
1/2 Box (small)Chocolate Fudge Pudding
1 Cup Flour
3 Eggs
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 Stick Butter or Marg.
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Oil
2 Cups Water(or cold coffee)

Cream Butter/Marg. oil and sugar together. Add eggs mix until blended. Add Cake mix, Pudding, flour and Baking Powder. Blend on low while drizzling in water in a thin stream. Mix until smooth (doesn't take long), and bake according to directions for your pan size.
Optional; fold in Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips.

Good Luck....
Shirl

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 3

That is the OLNY chocolate cake mix that I use.... I have never had a problem with it...... I can't imagine what went wrong.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%