First Imbc Cake I Need Some Answers............

Decorating By debster Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 12:23am by backermeister

debster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:02am
post #1 of 18

First of all I've tried making it like 3 times, the first time it turned out fine the second and third time it was kinda runny. Followed same recipe, I'm using the one from CC that the person walks you through step by step. Why is it runny at times, I'm afraid when I try it tomorrow what if this happens? Is there a way to thicken it? Also how do you decorate on IMBC? I need to do a scroll pattern. What about adding a cloth ribbon? Thanks for any input and does anyone have a fail proof recipe they are willing to share? Thanks for ANY and ALL help. That stuff scares me to death.

17 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:56am
post #2 of 18

Step by step....that really rings a bell as being SMBC. Different stuff. Unless I missed a good IMBC tutorial.

debster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 18

What's the difference in them, which is best. Any hints for my questions? I'm using the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and butter which is that. Any fool proof recipes?

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 18

My computer is messing up sorry I can't link you right now, but search out The Well Dressed Cake Swiss Meringue, might be called something a little different. Plus, there is a sticky I think, where it is shown step by step. It's a great recipe!

Bunsen Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 18

Swiss Meringue you heat the egg whites and sugar first then whip them, Italian meringue you boil sugar and water and pour that into your whipped up egg whites. I have only made IMBC but I chose that as I read it is more stable than SMBC. It's always worked for me so I can't help with the runny problem, sorry. I did watch several tutorials on youtube before I attempted it and that definitely helped.

ShayShay Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 18

I always use ShirleyW 's recipe for IMBC. It is in the recipe section. If yours is too runny, try chilling it a little bit and whipping it again. IMBC can be decorated on and can also be used for borders. I still like to use BC for doing flowers so I'm not sure how it would work for those. Good Luck!

debster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 18

Yep it's the IMBC I'm using you boil the sugar and water and add to the egg whites. My problem may be I was just reading that I left the wisk on and didn't paddle when I added the sugar to the whites. I hope this helps me. Thanks all for the input.

PinkZiab Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 18

No you should DEFINITELY leave the whisk attachment on when you add the sugar... only switch to the paddle attachment when you begin adding the butter (but you can add a bit of the butter with the whisk first, and switch the paddle about halfway through--I do the entire thing with the whisk attachment and only use the paddle when re-beating IMBC that's been refrigerated).

FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 18

I'm with Tara... I use the whisk attachment from start to finish now too and use the paddle to re-whip it. Less to clean up... LOL. I make SMBC, but the result is the same. I have used both and don't find one to be more stable than the other... they are the same thing in the end as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely use the whisk... it get's the air into your meringue and you need that to get the volume. How warm is your meringue when you add the butter? Are you heating your sugar syrup to the right temp? Have you ever tried letting it sit and cool down and then beating it again? Did you maybe get some yolk in your whites when separating your eggs?

You can decorate with IMBC just fine. Make sure it's not too warm or it's hard to work with. I like to have a couple bags working... if one gets soft you can grab the other one and let it cool down. Ribbon will need to be backed with something or the grease from the butter will come through. I usually just use fondant ribbon... no worries with the grease.

I like SMBC because you don't have to cook the sugar to 240 degrees. You can try the recipe I posted and read the thread I posted about making it here . This is the thread Jamie was talking about. icon_biggrin.gif

debster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 18

Ok I got soup here literally. So I put it in the refrige and it set up some, I beat it and it got semi fluffy so it's in the refrige AGAIN I pray this works I have to fill this wedding order TODAY. I whipped the egg whites no yolks. I brought the sugar and water to the soft ball stage, added it to the whites put in the butter and flavor and beat it and got soup. The merinque is real nice until I add the butter then it won't fluff back even after 15 min of beating so what am I doing wrong?

Mike1394 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 18

One of two things. You either whipped your egg whites too much. You want them medium peaks. OR your sugar, and egg whites weren't cool enough before you added the butter. Make sure temp is below 90, and you wpon't have any issue.

delisa01 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 18

The IMBC recipe I use sometimes varies in the amout of butter I use. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the humidity in the room but I would try adding another stick of butter.

Musings9 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:27pm
post #13 of 18

The meringue portion must be whipped until cool and it can take as long as 15 minutes. Touch the outside of the bowl to make sure it is cooling down.
If it's still soupy, whip it over a bowl filled with ice and water until it comes together.
Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

debster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 18

Ok I'm not letting it cool down I'm adding the butter right after adding the 210 degree syrup makes sense now. So do you think if I keep putting in the refridge and rewhipping it will go? Or should I pitch this batch?

FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #15 of 18

let it cool and whip it up again. It should come together for you. Your sugar syrup should also be 240 degrees... not 210. Soft ball stage is 235-240 degrees.

debster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #16 of 18

K thanks all I will let you know how the next batch goes I filled with this last one. Wish me luck!!!!

Musings9 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:50am
post #17 of 18

I agree, whip it again, it should come together for you. Even if it isn't exactly perfect, don't scrap it, you can always mix it with a new batch.

backermeister Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:23am
post #18 of 18

yes the whip attachment should be used for the whole process. you should also cook your sugar/water mixture to 248-250 degrees which should be measured with a candy thermometer. I use just whites carton egg whites for my imbc which is easier and safer for your customers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%