Shipping Cakes

Decorating By marcie29229 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 4:23am by erinalicia

marcie29229 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:41am
post #1 of 3

I was wondering if anyone can help me. Can you ship cakes? How? I'm pretty sure it has to go overnight but how do I protect it from sliding around and messing up the decorations?

2 replies
percussiongrrl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #2 of 3

I'm not sure you'd ever be able to ship a cake and feel good about it....even when something is marked "fragile" gets thrown around and turned upside down. Cookies you can pad enough that they will survive being tossed around some but I don't think you could package a cake in a way that would prevent damage.

erinalicia Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:23am
post #3 of 3

I've shipped a cake from North Carolina to Oklahoma (about 1200 miles) and the cake arrived in good condition. I didn't send it overnight. It was sent in January so the concern of heat affecting the icing wasn't there.

Fondant covered cakes fair better shipping. I just covered my cake with plastic wrap and packed it in box with crumpled plastic bags, then I placed that box in a larger box with more plastic bags and newspaper. Granted this probably isn't the method used by others, but it worked.

Do a search of the forums for this subject and you'll find some good tips. I'm getting ready to do a cake to send to OK again, this time for my best friend's son. It's his 1st birthday and she wants me to make his cake. I'm only doing a small single layer fondant covered cake with flat designs.

Just my 2 cents! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%