Black Icing

Decorating By yazzie82 Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 6:44am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

yazzie82 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #1 of 5

I see that people are saying they use chocolate buttercream and then add black to it to get black icing. My question is after you add the black coloring does the icing darken as it sits or do i have to keep adding more and more black until it is black? and about how much black coloring will i have to use? or does anyone know where i can just buy black icing in a bucket or something?

4 replies
Rethy Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:53am
post #2 of 5

What I do is, I add purple to my icing first then I do not have to add as much black, otherwise it would take a ton of black. I usually use chocolate icing too. The icing will get blacker the longer it sits.

yummymummycakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:19am
post #3 of 5

I always make black the night before needed, the colour definately intensifies the longer you leave it.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:43am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethy

What I do is, I add purple to my icing first then I do not have to add as much black, otherwise it would take a ton of black. I usually use chocolate icing too. The icing will get blacker the longer it sits.

I hadn't thought of this, but it makes sense. I tried to make a marbled fondant, but the black was too soft, so after I kneaded in the Gum Tex, the black and white made dark grey. In certain light, it looks purple (in another, it looks royal blue). Since black is a combination of all colours, the purple would come thru (blue and red) as they are the strongest colours.

Need to remember this!

Yazzie82, I don't know if you can buy black icing by the bucket, but you can get Wilton in the tube. Worse case scenario, you'll be squeezing a lot, but you'll get pure black.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:44am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethy

I hadn't thought of this, but it makes sense. I tried to make a marbled fondant, but the black was too soft, so after I kneaded in the Gum Tex, the black and white made dark grey. In certain light, it looks purple (in another, it looks royal blue). Since black is a combination of all colours, the purple would come thru (blue and red) as they are the strongest colours.

Need to remember this!

Yazzie82, I don't know if you can buy black icing by the bucket, but you can get Wilton in the tube. Worse case scenario, you'll be squeezing a lot, but you'll get pure black.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%