Help!!!!! Royal Icing

Decorating By laney19702 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 1:56am by TexasSugar

laney19702 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 5

icon_mad.gif I can't seem to get my royal icing to go right. I follow the recipe and nothing seems to work. It is ok for the first couple minutes then it goes soft. I make sure my equipment is clean and free of any type of shortening. I have tried and tried but it still goes soft. Am I not mixing it enough or what. I made some yesterday and the white was fine, but I needed to make some flowers so I colored some with paste color and after I got it mixed it started to go soft. Please someone help me lol icon_biggrin.gif thank you

4 replies
Misdawn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 5

First, what exactly do you mean "goes soft"? When I make mine, it always seems a little stiffer in the bowl. Once it's in the bag and ready to pipe, the heat from your hands will cause it to 'melt' a little and it becomes slightly thinner the longer you work with it. Once it has a few hours it should be noticably hardening though.

Is yours just not hardening ever? Explain a little more please...

bakerwanabee Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #3 of 5

try adding more powdered sugar than usual. about half a cup than usual, more or less as you get the consistency you like. icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #4 of 5

From what you are explaining the problem is only when you add coloring ? What kind of coloring are you adding, I have never had a problem with the wilton paste colors. You may just need to add more powdered sugar. I saw a thread once where someone was adding the coloring made for candy melts instead and the oil in the coloring was ruining the RI.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 5

Royal icing will feel thick but 'melt' when piped if it hasn't been mixed long enough. How long did you mix it? You want to mix it at least 7 mins with a stand mixer and at least 10 mins with a hand mixer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%