Can I Refreeze A Cake Once Decorated?

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 16 Jan 2007 , 3:39pm by seven

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 4

My friend needs a cake but doesn't know exactly what date she will need it and asked if one could be frozen. Can I thaw the cake I already have made, unfrosted, decorate it and then refreeze it for her? Or can I decorate while the cake itself is still frozen? I will be making a turtle cake from a half round yellow and some white chocolate cupcakes and BC icing.

TIA
nikki

3 replies
sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 4

Some do freeze their cakes after baking and to make it easier to apply the icing. Also, I have decorated a cake and then froze it for several weeks and eaten it later. It was fine.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 4

I am not sure about cakes, but as a general rule for all of my cooking, I will only freeze it in it's current state once. Like if I freeze a piece of meat raw, once I cook it, I will only freeze the cooked product once. I don't think there is really a danger to doing it more, I think it's more of a taste/freshness thing.

seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seven Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 4

I freeze cakes alot. Freeze it right out of the oven. You dont need to let it defrost before decorating with buttercream but I usually do. I have put an already frozen cake that I decorated in fondant and buttercream back into the freezer and when I served it I recieved just as many complaments as I would have with a non-frozen cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%