Any Ideas For Beach-Themed Bridal Shower???

Decorating By Jewels117 Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm by Jewels117

Jewels117 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 12

I will be making a 1/4 sheet cake for a beach-themed bridal shower. I've attached an example of the invitation taken from the website they were ordered from. I gather from the invite, she's probably looking for a more sophisticated looking beach-themed cake

The only idea I had so far was to cover the cake w/ buttercream in the lighter shade of moss green and then use a bit darker shade of green and make palm tree cutouts out of fondant. I also thought about making candy sea shells, but that's as far as my ideas have gone...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

11 replies
tincanbaby Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:06am
post #2 of 12

You could also design a bamboo arch with bridal decorations attached surrounded by palms and shells.

Jewels117 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:56am
post #3 of 12

For some reason the picture of the invitation disappeared... here it is again.

BCJean Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 12

How about for the sides of the cake you do an open basket weave, using the tan color of the top of the invitation, letting the moss green base icing show through.

Jewels117 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the ideas!

4theloveofcake Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #6 of 12

the invitation you posted remind me of a cake topper i seen once..

here it is:

obviously instead of ordering it, i would make it out of gumpaste.. maybe cover the cake in sand-colored or ocean blue fondant, put the palm tree that you made/ordered in the top right corner with brown sugar around it as sand, maybe some white chocolate candymelt seashells (michaels sells the mold also) and just pipe "congratulations (brides name)" in royal icing and paint it with a nice gold/green? oh, and for the coconuts you could use those little edible silver balls instead of the diamonds or whatever in the picture to add a bit of class =)

just a thought =)

BCJean Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:35am
post #7 of 12

Oh, I love the topper. A great way of doing a tropical cake without using vibrant colors.

4theloveofcake Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:08am
post #8 of 12

i love it too icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

miny Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:49am
post #9 of 12

I love the color of the cake behind the topper too! It looks very classy IMHO the sand and shells will give it a birthday cake feeling and, this topper looks more like a "grown up" kind of celebration. Just my 2 cents icon_wink.gif

4theloveofcake Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:12am
post #10 of 12
Originally Posted by miny

I love the color of the cake behind the topper too! It looks very classy IMHO the sand and shells will give it a birthday cake feeling and, this topper looks more like a "grown up" kind of celebration. Just my 2 cents icon_wink.gif

i agree actually now that i think about it. it would still need the sand if she is going to make the topper out of gumpaste though.. obviously not over the entire cake though just around the palm tree. i think the sea shells will probably be too big in proportion to the palm tree anyhow. i can't wait to see how this cake turns out!

JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:16am
post #11 of 12

But if it is a 1/4 sheet cake it would be kinda hard to use a topper like that and it look "sophisticated"

I don't know but for me it is hard to make a 1/4 sheet look sophisticated period...

Would you maybe be interested in doing a round cake in a size to equal the same servings as a 1/4 sheet kinda like the one in the background of the topper picture?

For party sized servings...
I believe a 1/4 sheet cake is approx. 25 servings (depending on what size you consider a 1/4 sheet) I don't do sheet cakes but I know sizes vary for different bakers.

So you would only need a 10" round for 28 party sized servings..

I think the round cake would give a much more sophisticated "grown up" look.

"IndyDebi may be along to correct me on my servings , but I think I am right icon_smile.gif ... Like I said I don't make sheet cakes hahah..

Jewels117 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you everyone, so much, for your suggestions/ideas! While I really like the cake topper, I'm still a relative beginner to cake decorating and have never modeled anything out of gumpaste and I don't know that I'd be able to do that on my own. icon_razz.gif I wouldn't even know where to start.

But, being that I live in CA, I have a lot of my friends wanting beach-themed cakes, so I'm sure that I'll be able to use that gumpaste palm tree idea in the future, once I have more practice.

Thanks again... you all have been so helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%