What Does Simple Mean, Anyways??

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 6:59am by saffronica

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 12

icon_lol.gif I don't think I have ever received an email that didn't have the word 'simple' in the very first one or two sentences, from someone describing their cake design ideas. I'm serious. icon_lol.gif

Anyone have any requests where they used the word 'simple' to describe something that made you laugh out loud, because of how "un-simple" it truly is?? Not making fun of these people, it's just funny, because like we all say, over and over, they just have no clue. icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 12

The last person that used simple with me, actually meant simple as cheap. "Oh I just want a simple wedding cake to feed $30. It doesn't have to be really fancy." What she was really saying was, "I want a cheap cake for $30, and if I say simple maybe you will tell me that that some how knocks the cost down."

It was for a relative of a family friend, after I talked to her I talked to the family friend, and she told me the lady was looking for cheap, which I had figured out by the conversation.

She ended up going with someone else that was 'closer'. And since they live 45 mins to an hour away, that could very well be. Of course she never replied back to my email, that she asked for, about 'simple cake ideas' and my pricing. I ended up emailing her a second time, telling her I was checking to see if she got the email, and that is when she told me she was going with someone 'closer'.

Now the family friend also lives 45-60 mins away and has ordered 3 cakes from me, including her wedding cake. Two of which she had no problem coming to pick up. The wedding cake I 'delivered' since I was going to the wedding anyway. Of course she loves me cakes and says she won't order from anyone else. HeHe.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 12

I don't take orders for cakes, but when I went to buy a cake for my 30th, which was a three-tiered jobby, when I said "simple" I meant that I didn't want a ton of scrollwork and every inch of frosting surface covered with decoration. Actually, I just wanted a cascade of fall leaves and didn't even want borders.

I also know I'm not a typical buyer, though, since I knew it wasn't going to particularly save me money and might even cost a bit more. Most people are probably like TexasSugar says, looking for cheap.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 12

simple = no room for mistakes

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 12

Lol...exaaaaaaaaactly.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 12

I know when I say simple I mean not covered in adornment: ribbons, bells, whistles, flowers, dots - whatever. Just leave it off and keep it plain. However, I also do not consider simple = cheap. You pay for quality. I like good quality cakes.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 12

I find that most customers use "simple" to ease into "budget." I've said it before, but I think that "simple but elegant" is code for ""fancy but cheap."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 12

But cake civilians have no idea what "simple" is.

MUCH easier to do a cake covered in scrolls and dots and piping, than to do a "simple" just plain iced with a ribbon border thing.

when I get a bride who wants "no border on the top .... just simple", I resopnd with "Oh, so you want me to work harder on this cake, huh?" I then explain that no border is MUCH more work for me because a border hides the seam where the top and the side of the icing meet. I then laugh and tell them, "Oh, it's no biggie ..... I just want to add to your cake education while you're here!" icon_biggrin.gif

They want just a "simple" stacked cake. "None of those pillars 'n things." To which I respond, "Oh, so you want me to work harder on this one, huh?" I then explain how putting a cake on push-in pillars is MUCH easier than measuring and cutting dowels, making sure the cake is level and even before adding the next tier, etc. I then laugh and tell them, "Oh, it's no biggie ..... I just want to add to your cake education while you're here!" icon_biggrin.gif

There's a reason the phrase was born of "Simplicity is elegant". Because it takes much more work to make something "simple" look easy and elegant.

So what do they mean when they say "simple"?

They have no idea!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:06am
post #9 of 12

had one last week.. wanted a 16th b/d cake.. talked to her.. she was really nice to talk to.. but she used words like that too. last thing she said before sending me a picture of the cake she wanted . was i can,t afford a $300.00 cake. so when i got the picture. i showed it to my d/h . and he said .. well, if she didn,t want a $300.00 cake .. then she shouldn,t have sent a $300.00 picture of one.. i didn,t get the order .. rather twiddle my thumbs. that to make something beautiful and lot of work to it.... cheaper that i quote. ain,t gonna do it.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #10 of 12

Simple = buttercream and pearl border..

Edna icon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:12am
post #11 of 12

Okay, I know this is a old post, but I thought this might give you all a laugh. They wanted a simple themed cake (as in carved) of a gun shooting a deer! Did I mention they called Thursday for a Friday when they got off a work pick up!!!

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:59am
post #12 of 12

I used to work at a bakery, where my job was to sell wedding cakes. I spent all day every day talking to brides, and almost all of them wanted "simple." But I loved how many brides came in and told me, "I just want something DIFFERENT -- not like all my friends' wedding cakes. So I want square, with ribbon around the bottom." SO different. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%