Pipping With Fondant??

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 12:15am by sweetiesbykim

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 5

I'm curious if anyone has thinned down fondant and been able to pipe with it like butter cream or royal icing? What would be the best thing to use to thin it down? Water? Corn syrup?

I'm working on a idea for a cake that will be covered in colored fondant. I'm worried about getting the color in royal icing to match the fondant so that I can pipe some decorations on it, plus it would save time of making and coloring royal icing.

If all else fails I'll make and use royal icing but I was just wondering if anyone has tried this with success?

4 replies
underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 5

I've never heard of this being done before, but I think you should go for it and then let us know how it worked. I'm sure you've got all the time in the world. lol

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 5

I've never heard of this being done before, but I think you should go for it and then let us know how it worked. I'm sure you've got all the time in the world. lol

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #4 of 5

I guess I better get to making some fondant so I can try it. Thought maybe someone else has tried it. I know Wilton makes fondant writers, which would be the same idea, so in theory it would work. I think??

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #5 of 5

I've seen on cake DVD's and read of adding shortening to fondant to make it soft to go through a clay gun easily. I've also seen adding water to a small ball of fondant in a cup to make fondant "glue" to attach fondant to fondant. Water breaks down sugar in the fondant, so I would start with something fat-based. Please let us knowicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%