A Thread Of "i Find It Very Helpful To...........

Decorating By goof9j Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm by bobwonderbuns

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #61 of 113

These tips are great!! Thanks everyone!!

I use paper towels rolls cut length wise in half as flower formers..

I find it very helpful to do any intricate work or rolling out of fondant to cover the cake...after my kids have gone to bed!

One of the best tips I have gotten here that has turned my ENTIRE world upside down is to think outside the box! Seriously I can't look at anything without thinking "how can I use that?" !!

CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #62 of 113

[quote="bobwonderbuns"]I like the washing the dirty tips in a bowl full of hot soapy water in the microwave (I know, I know but it made a believer out of me!) icon_lol.gif

Ok what! You put the metal tips in the microwave?!? This sounds interesting can someone please explain!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #63 of 113

momma_ash -- One of the best tips I have gotten here that has turned my ENTIRE world upside down is to think outside the box! Seriously I can't look at anything without thinking "how can I use that?" !!

I do the same thing. I was looking at textured placemats at lunch for texturing fondant.

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 9:53pm
post #64 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie_shinnick

I shop the remenant racks in the fabric store and Wal-mart for material to cover my cake boards. I have been using fabric for a while now and i love it and can always find a piece to match the cake!

What do you cover the fabric with?? I would love to use fabric!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:58pm
post #65 of 113

[quote="momma_ash"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I like the washing the dirty tips in a bowl full of hot soapy water in the microwave (I know, I know but it made a believer out of me!) icon_lol.gif

Ok what! You put the metal tips in the microwave?!? This sounds interesting can someone please explain!

It's like this: You take the dirty tips and with your finger plunge out the "big chunks" of frosting. Then I run it under hot water for a moment or two. Then I take the still dirty tips and put them in a GLASS bowl and cover with water (covered about an inch over the tips with water.) Put a couple squirts of Dawn (takes grease out of the way) and nuke for four minutes. Then take the whole shootin match and dump in a strainer and rinse with water and let air dry. And voila -- clean tips!! icon_lol.gif (Just don't do that with the flower nail -- and don't ask me how I know that...) icon_confused.gif

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #66 of 113

How can you put metal in a microwave without causing sparks and fire?

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #67 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delynn

It's covered in water.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #68 of 113

lol..........you don't mean the cake boxes that you fold up?/ I still can't place what you mean....

Delynn Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delynn

It's covered in water.

You are serious? OMG I have never heard of that! So tell me... how long have I lived a sheltered life? In other words... how long has the rest of the world known this? I saw an episode of Amazing Cakes where the tattoo lady (black hair) put a metal bowl of chocolate in the microwave. I asked my husband how that was possible, since accidently forgetting to take a twist tie off a package caused sparks. He said hers is probably a convection microwave. ??? Well, ok?

You know I'm going to have to try this trick now right?

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:14am
post #70 of 113

Well I cannot say it was an original thought and I'm not sure if the other thread even still exists (it was badly corrupted in last year's crash) but I do remember I pitched a living fit about metal in the microwave. Long story short I was politely told to try it and see. I did and I'm telling you, it made a believer out of me! icon_lol.gif

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #71 of 113

My tip would be to put Super Sliders (the small size) under the feet of my KitchenAid so it will slide easily on my counter when I need to move it. That thing is tooo heavy to lift and move all the time.

Love all the tips!

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #72 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfun

My tip would be to put Super Sliders (the small size) under the feet of my KitchenAid so it will slide easily on my counter when I need to move it. That thing is tooo heavy to lift and move all the time.

Love all the tips!

You know what's funny -- I did that when I first got my KitchenAid years ago so I could just slide it all over the counter. They've been on there so long I plain forgot about them! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

mrsclox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsclox Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:58am
post #73 of 113

When I need to quickly dry some fondant and/or gumpaste, I put it in my food dehydrator. Works like a charm!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:14am
post #74 of 113

Madge -- The cake boxes that you fold (which are thin and flimsy) are the ones I used to use until the trays. The trays are similar to the cake boxes except they are thicker (like a regular box) and do not have a lid.

Delynn Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:22am
post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfun

Love all the tips!

Good idea! I absolutely LOVE those slider things under my furniture and so does my husband because now I can move the living room furniture around whenever I want without needing very much muscle power at all; they glide so easily! I was just thinking yesterday that I was going to fold a dish towel in half and put it underneath my 2 KA to move them easier. Slightly off topic... I LOVE Alton Brown's flaming KA... it's Cool!

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:49pm
post #76 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie_shinnick

I shop the remenant racks in the fabric store and Wal-mart for material to cover my cake boards. I have been using fabric for a while now and i love it and can always find a piece to match the cake!

What do you cover the fabric with?? I would love to use fabric!

I dont cover the fabric with anything. I just wash it in clear water (no soap) then dry. I have never had a problem with grease on the fabric.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:30pm
post #77 of 113

I love cake tips!!! These are all great! Mine is using the black binder clips to hold the bake-even strips on my pans! No more stabbing myself with those horrible pins!

txnonnie Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:40pm
post #78 of 113

I bake my cakes at a reduced temperature and do not fill my oven with several pans. Takes a little longer, but makes moister cake and bakes more even.

I like to bake with my convection as well.

I overfill my pans with cake batter to rise above pan so I can cut level with pan. Although I did like the one user that said they put a board in the pan and then slice cake level with pan. Will try that.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:55pm
post #79 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by abslu

I love cake tips!!! These are all great! Mine is using the black binder clips to hold the bake-even strips on my pans! No more stabbing myself with those horrible pins!

thumbs_up.gif YEA thumbs_up.gif My fingers thank you

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #80 of 113

I think this is one of the best threads I have read. I love getting ideas from bakers' real life experiences (that you normally don't find in books). I have read every single tip.
I am new to decorating and I am not good at writings on cakes (plus I have bad hand writing all together) so I always look for ways to skip writing. I use rubber stamps (usually found in scrap booking aisles in craft stores) for general messages (lots to choose from). It looks very pretty.

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #81 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

I think this is one of the best threads I have read. I love getting ideas from bakers' real life experiences (that you normally don't find in books). I have read every single tip.
I am new to decorating and I am not good at writings on cakes (plus I have bad hand writing all together) so I always look for ways to skip writing. I use rubber stamps (usually found in scrap booking aisles in craft stores) for general messages (lots to choose from). It looks very pretty.

i don't do so well writing either. so, you just stamp on the cake without the ink of course and then fill in with your bc?

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:00am
post #82 of 113

No I color my stamp with food coloring (thinned out, I use clear vanilla) I usually paint with a thin brush on the rubber letters. You can also use different colors if the stamp is an image. Don't use too much food color on the stamp because it will "bleed" (I test stamp first on a piece of fondant). If you take a long time painting or coloring your stamp you could very quickly hold your stamp over some steam to add moisture to the color again. (In scrap booking you can just breathe on the color if it has taken a while but only when it is for paper, not for eating...) There are lots of stamp with any kind of hand writing.

CanadianCakin Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:57am
post #83 of 113

It's like this: You take the dirty tips and with your finger plunge out the "big chunks" of frosting. Then I run it under hot water for a moment or two. Then I take the still dirty tips and put them in a GLASS bowl and cover with water (covered about an inch over the tips with water.) Put a couple squirts of Dawn (takes grease out of the way) and nuke for four minutes. Then take the whole shootin match and dump in a strainer and rinse with water and let air dry. And voila -- clean tips!! icon_lol.gif (Just don't do that with the flower nail -- and don't ask me how I know that...) icon_confused.gif[/quote]

Ok I am soo trying this!! I hate washing tips..oh and I only use Dawn it works great!!

txnonnie Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:13am
post #84 of 113

If I am using cardboard under the cake I first wrap the cardboard in plastic wrap to prevent it from becoming grease soaked and weak.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:31am
post #85 of 113

I put my Wilton crappy circle underneath my big piece of vinyl. It just saves me having to measure the size of the fondant for smaller cakes! icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Yes its the vinyl you can get in the material aisle at walmart....I grease it up with crisco, and it works great...........wish I knew that before iI soent 20 dollars on the one from wilton, which i got mad and threw away already.

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:43am
post #86 of 113

I am a newbie , and I just wanted to say , this was a wonderful idea to have a thread like this, would have never thought of some of these ideas. Unforunately I don't have any tips yet, sorry. But would like to thank all of you for these wonderful ideas and tips. I have learned so much from this site, and I am on it through out the day just reading and learning so much from all of you guys. I just wanted to say again a big thank you from a beginer like me. icon_razz.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:50am
post #87 of 113

Something I found really useful last weekend was to throw my Wilton leveler in the trash. LOL!

When I bake cakes I try to bake so that they rise above the pan for leveling. If I have extra batter, I either freeze the batter in cupcake cups (THANK YOU to the CC member who said you could freeze batter!) or make cupcakes or a small cake in case I need to bring dessert to a family event. icon_smile.gif

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:06pm
post #88 of 113

I like 'Press and seal' plastic wrap for covering cake boards, it's fast and sticks really well!

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:29pm
post #89 of 113

what an AWESOME thread!!! thanks to all of u for sharing. along comes all of this just when I thought u guys couldn't make me any smarter... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #90 of 113

I'm sure someone has thought of this, but just in case I would like to offer one thing I came up with...

When I'm working with candy melts and I have them all sorted and colored and in bags, I get out my heating pad, set it to high, lay it on the bar above where I'm working and cover it with a towel. Then I lay my piping bags on the heating pad. It keeps them just warm enough that I don't have to worry about them and I don't have to rush with what I'm doing. I keep a piece of wax paper/parchment/paper towel, whatever, on the counter under the tips to catch any drips that may happen.

Works great with candy melts in bowls too. It keeps the candy melted at just the right temperatue and I don't have to worry about having to reheat and possibly scorching my candy.

By the way this is a great thread!!!! So much helpful information, as usual from the wonderful CC community!! I liked to bake and decorate cakes when I found this site, now, it's an obsession/passion/addiction and I'm having more fun than ever!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%