A Thread Of "i Find It Very Helpful To...........

Decorating By goof9j Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm by bobwonderbuns

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #91 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybeal

I like 'Press and seal' plastic wrap for covering cake boards, it's fast and sticks really well!

that's not something I normally buy so I wouldn't have thought of that! But thanks, that sounds so much easier than foil!!!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:55pm
post #92 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda0217

I am a newbie , and I just wanted to say , this was a wonderful idea to have a thread like this, would have never thought of some of these ideas. Unforunately I don't have any tips yet, sorry. But would like to thank all of you for these wonderful ideas and tips. I have learned so much from this site, and I am on it through out the day just reading and learning so much from all of you guys. I just wanted to say again a big thank you from a beginer like me. icon_razz.gif

What a novel idea!!! Good thinking.

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:29pm
post #93 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

Something I found really useful last weekend was to throw my Wilton leveler in the trash. LOL!

When I bake cakes I try to bake so that they rise above the pan for leveling. If I have extra batter, I either freeze the batter in cupcake cups (THANK YOU to the CC member who said you could freeze batter!) or make cupcakes or a small cake in case I need to bring dessert to a family event. icon_smile.gif

Do you freeze them in the cupcake pan with the paper in it or just the cupcake papers? How do you wrap and store them in the freezer?

This is a wonderful thread! Since I'm new, I really don't have any tips, but I so appreciate all the wonderful tips everyone is sharing.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #94 of 113

One thing I found here that I would have never thought to do is the crusting buttercream and viva to smooth it out that is so helpful. Another thing I do is use the plastic from my edible image sheets cut them to the length I need and use them to smooth out my round cakes like (balls) this gives you a really smooth look and it is flexable to bend with the curves.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:15pm
post #95 of 113

I like to use a large cookie sheet to help me lift big pieces of fondant. Just center the rolled out fondant on the cookie sheet, center cookie sheet over the cake and slid the tray out as you guide the fondant onto the cake. This saves me from using an extra cake board (I'm cheap) and I always had trouble with dents and tears when I fold it over my rolling pin.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:31pm
post #96 of 113

Something I found very useful is that you can model using good quality fondant rather than the modelling paste or pastillage and it is so much easier as it doesn't dry out as fast!

I also use round icing tips or the covers of paintbrushes to cut out small circles.

And if I want to make a consistent shape of a character, I just find a colouring page image of it on the Net and resize it to the size I like, print it out a few times, cut around the different layers and I have a template that is super easy to use! I did it last night with Boots (from Dora) as the freehand version wasn't working and it was so much easier. Thought it might be helpful as my sister had never thought to do it and it can save a bit of time for us beginners.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:10am
post #97 of 113

I freeze them in the paper, in the pans. I think that you could freeze them in the pan and then dump them into a zip lock bag after frozen... Haven't tried that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelovincrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

Something I found really useful last weekend was to throw my Wilton leveler in the trash. LOL!

When I bake cakes I try to bake so that they rise above the pan for leveling. If I have extra batter, I either freeze the batter in cupcake cups (THANK YOU to the CC member who said you could freeze batter!) or make cupcakes or a small cake in case I need to bring dessert to a family event. icon_smile.gif

Do you freeze them in the cupcake pan with the paper in it or just the cupcake papers? How do you wrap and store them in the freezer?

This is a wonderful thread! Since I'm new, I really don't have any tips, but I so appreciate all the wonderful tips everyone is sharing.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:00pm
post #98 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

You're probably not getting many responses because the last time this subject was posted was about 2 years ago, and it was done to death for about 3 months before that.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Really? Well, this is up to 7 pages so perhaps it was time for a revival.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #99 of 113

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this info! I am off to buy some clear vinyl as I always manage to stick my finger through fondant when lifting it onto the cake!

cakelovincrazy Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #100 of 113

I do have a tip afterall, Yaaayyyy. I'm not sure if it has been said before, but just in case....
I use my daughter's bottle drying rack to dry my icing bags and icing tips. The little sticks for the bottles are perfect for holding the tips upright and the bags! icon_biggrin.gif
This is the one I use.
http://www.target.com/First-Years-Spin-Store-Organizer/dp/B000K53UEI/sr=1-1/qid=1247919792/ref=sr_1_1/183-6562904-0760966?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Ababy%20bottle%20rack&page=1

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:29pm
post #101 of 113

I used to have a hard time getting my writing LEVEL on a cake - I bought a cheap laser level at walmart, set it even with the top of the cake, turn it on, and walaa - a straight red line across the cake to follow so my writing is now perfectly straight! icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:43pm
post #102 of 113

What a great idea, Loucinda, thanks.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:16pm
post #103 of 113

........You take the dirty tips and with your finger plunge out the "big chunks" of frosting...........

Save that icing! icon_smile.gif Instead of wasting that 'plug' of icing &/or getting your finger dirty use a toothpick to get it out of the tip. Place the toothpick tight against the side of the tip (inside) and turn the tip around a couple of times then pull the plug out! I put it back in the pot w/the rest of the leftover. At least it won't be going down the drain to plug up your pipes.

You do know that buttercream icing can be frozen for up to 1 year don't you? When I had my shop I would make a full batch of red icing for Valentines day and keep any leftover in the fzr until Christmas. When making lg batches like that put the color in the liquid used in your recipe.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #104 of 113

Cakelovincrazy..I absolutely love that tip! Thanks. I always try to prop mine up with the end of wooden spoons, but inevitably they tip over. Wonderful idea.

cakelovincrazy Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:08am
post #105 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I used to have a hard time getting my writing LEVEL on a cake - I bought a cheap laser level at walmart, set it even with the top of the cake, turn it on, and walaa - a straight red line across the cake to follow so my writing is now perfectly straight! icon_biggrin.gif

I love this idea! Thanks! I just asked my husband if he had one and told him I need to borrow it for my cakes. Of course he was icon_surprised.gif surprised, but when I told him why he thought it was pretty cool. icon_biggrin.gif
I can't wait to try it out!

cakelovincrazy Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #106 of 113
Quote:

I love this idea! Thanks! I just asked my husband if he had one and told him I need to borrow it for my cakes. Of course he was icon_surprised.gif surprised, but when I told him why he thought it was pretty cool. icon_biggrin.gif
I can't wait to try it out!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #107 of 113

The best tips that I have found in the last year was how to level my cakes without cutting any off. This really saves on time, waste & extra calories into my mouth! It is on youtube but I forgot where or who? Anyway, when the cake comes straight out of the oven immediately lay a clean dish towel on the top. Lightly and slowly press down the "hump". It causes the air to release and makes the texture of the cake more dense and levels it out perfectly every time. While the cake is still hot, release it onto cellophane wrap and immediately wrap it while its hot. This keeps the steam inside which will keep it moist. You can go ahead and freeze it while hot if you like. Works great while saving time for it to cool. The only problem is that my family is mad at me for not having scraps for them!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:37am
post #108 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie_shinnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by abslu

I love cake tips!!! These are all great! Mine is using the black binder clips to hold the bake-even strips on my pans! No more stabbing myself with those horrible pins!

thumbs_up.gif YEA thumbs_up.gif My fingers thank you

(((((slapping my forehead)))))) Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:56pm
post #109 of 113
Quote:

Cool idea. I think I will take my hubbys out of the package and use it. He doesn't seem to use it.

thecarouselcloset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecarouselcloset Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:07pm
post #110 of 113

I just found out that dipping my cutters in a little crisco before using makes the fondant come out quicky and cleanly.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #111 of 113

When using Tappits - lightly grease the letter with shortening and then press into you fondant or gumapste. Then "tap it" briskly on the edge of the counter and it pops right out.

This works much better than cornstarch - I could not get the letters to release with cornstarch or powdered sugar.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:47am
post #112 of 113

One of the many tips that I have picked up from CC is to buy a good digital scale and to use the following chart for butter, Crisco, etc. It's so much easier and neater weighing the ingredients rather than messing around with measuring cups and Crisco!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25279

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm
post #113 of 113

Oh here's one: When measuring out shortening, take plastic wrap and put it inside the measuring cup. Then pack it with the shortening and grab the overhanging plastic wrap and pop it right out -- saves a TON of work on cleaning! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%