Gift Box With "opened Lid Look"

Decorating By bublinka77 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 7:10am by bublinka77

bublinka77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bublinka77 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there, I´d like to make a gift box cake with opened lid look.. How do I make it? If the lid is a "cake" I´m afraid the lid goes bend or break. Please anyone help me, I am beginner icon_eek.gif (sorry for my english, I am not English icon_redface.gif

6 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't done a gift box with an open lid yet, but I have done a toy box. They would be basically the same technique. I would make the box itself cake, but use 1/2" foamcore for the lid and cover it with fondant with tylose added. You can attach the lid to the cake using melted white chocolate. It will need support to hold the lid open, but you can hide that with tissue paper made from gumpaste. If you would rather have the lid just leaning against the "box", you can make the lid completely from gumpaste. Use the bottom of your cake pan, turned upside down to form the gumpaste over and let it dry.

divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 7

I will be attempting the same thing this weekend and have been wondering the same thing. I had just planned on putting the cake "lid" on its own cake board. You really won't see underneath it because of the gumpaste "tissue paper" ... at least that's how I *think* it will work.

bublinka77 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 7

Hi, thank you for quick reply! I´ll sound silly but I do not know what the foamcore is. Can you explain please? Many many thanks!!! xxx

Temptations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Temptations Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 7

If you aren't in the states you may not be able to find foam core. It's a piece of styrofoam with paper glued on both sides. It comes in different thicknesses and is stronger than cardboard. Cardboard would work too, but you'd need several layers of thickness. Good luck.

poochynooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poochynooch Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 7

I used styrofoam that I cut to the size I needed for the box lid -- covered in fondant. I used scewers to hold the lid to the box and propped up the lid with tissue paper made from gumpaste.

bublinka77 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:10am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your replies. I´ll try to make a gift box cake during the weekend. If Iam happy with the result I´ll place the picture in the gallery icon_smile.gif Thanks again for your suggestions. xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%