Need Ideas For Making Top Thrill Dragster Rollercoaster Cake

Decorating By tmelrose Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 3:18am by tmelrose

tmelrose Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 8

I'm kinda new at cake decorating. Have taken 3 of 4 wilton classes and have done a few on my own. I'm wanting to make a cake for my son's 15th birthday of his favorite rollercoaster/thrill ride "Top Thrill Dragster". Luckily his bday is a few months away. I've attempted to attach a picture of the ride but if it doesn't work please google "Top Thrill Dragster" and any suggestions on how to make this stand up cake would be greatly appreciated.
LL

7 replies
sweetcravings Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 8

That is an insane ride! I've seen it in person and couldn't believe anyone would ride the thing.
If you are trying to replicate it, maybe a gumpaste covered dowel rod for the straight portions of the coaster, and then flexible florist wire for the arches at the top and the supports. You could screw the dowel rods right into the cake board to keep it from tipping. I think if were going to replicate this ride i would focus on the 'launching' of the ride, with the coaster carts take off from.., blinking street light as they are waiting to take off, the stands for the the crowds watching..maybe a throw up bucket somewhere nearby.lol HTH
Your son must have a good stomach to ride that thing. It's the sickest ride i've ever seen in person.

tmelrose Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the ideas sweetcravings! Yes my son and husband are nuts! They've rode it 7 times and just back from Jersey where they rode Kingda Ka 6xs. Do you get dowel rods at Hobby Lobby, Michael's etc? Would I make dragster cars and lights from candy modeling clay or fondant/gumpaste or does it matter? I've never done any of this. Luckily I've got some time to work on this.

sweetcravings Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 8

Yup, you can find dowel rods at just about most craft shops. I would probably make all of the details out of gumpaste. That way i would know they would dry hard enough and not break. You can make the peices when time allows and when dry paint the details or add more gumpaste on top for detailing. Or you might even be able to make the main part of the carts with rice krispie treats, that would be easy to mold too. Cover with fondant or gumpaste when molded to the shape you desire. It would be really cool if you could make a couple of figures in the front seat that resemble your 'guys'. Sorry, i'm all over the place with ideas. Hopefully something will sound good for you. Here is a link to some photos of the dragster that might help you out in your sculpting and details. HTH> http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/rides/coasters/top_thrill_dragster/index.cfm?modeSet=gallery&gallery_name=photo_gallery

Your husband and son are nuts! You would have to drag me kickng and screaming onto a ride like that. The looks on the peoples faces coming off of that thing is priceless.

sweetcravings Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif Hi again,
Still thinking about the cake. If you don't mind inedible stuff on the cake how about making the coaster out of those bendy sticks kids use to build stuff with. You can cut them to the size you need.
Then i was looking through our gallery here on CC and came across this cake.. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1159428
This would eliminate the need for making any sort of structure. You could just make the angle of the coaster, going up, much steaper. The cars seem a little less labor intensive too. You could make them out of either modeling chocolate or gumpaste, fondant, whatever you have on hand.
Just throwing out ideas for ya. I can't wait to see the cake when it's done.

HTH

Suzanne

tmelrose Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:08am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for your suggestions. On your first post when you mention using the dowel rods (I'm assuming the plastic ones) cover those with gumpaste or just do the track with gumpaste? I guess I could somehow get it to connect together the track and support beams. On your last post the coaster found in the gallery looks awesome. I guess I could make one flat sheet cake for the launch and another cake standing up for the ride. Then I'd basically be cutting the shape of the ride and drawing the beams and put royal or gumpaste tracks on top and going down. I just got an old Wilton yearbook where they made a rollercoaster track with royal icing but I'm thinking the gumpaste might be sturdier. I don't mind anything be inedible. Hopefully I'm not in over my head on this one.

sweetcravings Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 8

When i was speaking of dowel rods i was thinking of the wooden dowels for the upward and downward part of the ride. Then use florist wire or something similar (bunch it together) for the arches and the supports. After the structure is made i would just cover the main part of the track with fondant or gumpaste. I would then cut out strips of gumpaste, thick enough to resemble the flat track portions (up and down part) and let dry flat. The strip that would go over the arches can be dried on a curved bowl or something with the same shape as the very top of the track. Once dry apply to the structure with some gumpaste glue or royal. You'll have three separate peices but it will be easier to work with that way. Piping details on the track later with either royal icing or chocolate. Make sense. ..sorry don't mean to confuse you. ;0)
Your later ideas sound great too. I guess you have to decide how much work you want and the effect you are going for.
I'm sure you can do this!
Perhaps someone else would have better suggestions on building this structure.
Best of luck

tmelrose Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #8 of 8

Ok I know what you mean now. I guess another option would be to do like the other coaster cake and make it a 3 tier cake and carve out the dragster and leave a flat part for the runway. Maybe even add a small flat cake to have the runway longer if needbe and the stands. As cheap as dowel rods are I might try doing the structure first. Thanks for the tips. You've been very helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%