What To Do About A Wedding Cooridnator That Is Talking C*ap

Decorating By abruntz Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm by abruntz

abruntz Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all, have to get some advise. Ok so did a cake a couple weeks ago so the cake ended up being a disaster. Lots of humidity and my buttercream wasn't cooperating at all. Well the cake turned out less than what I usually deliver (although I admit I am not the perfect cake decorator and I charge not as much as the big bakeries here in my home town). Any hoot I agreed to give back a portion of the fee that was paid on the cake I only thought that was fair. There was a wedding coordinator at the reception and she mentioned as I was trying to fix the cake as much as possible your doing so and sos wedding in Sept. correct? I said yes and she continued on to tell me how bad the drive was to the reception (in the mountains) and I really needed to give myself enough time to drive up there. And I told her thanks for the heads up.

Now the bride from Sept. is questioning her contract so I am a little worried that she might have gotten to the bride to be and told her about the disaster. First off I think this is very unprofessional yes I am sure she has a duty to look after her bride to be as well since they are paying her a nominal fee but I would think she would have said something to me first. What would you all do? would you tell the bride about the mishap or just keep your mouth shut? Like I said I have been decorating for 3 1/2 years and only had two cake disasters I mean they are going to happen and I did the right thing by refunding some of the money.

9 replies
Deb_ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 10

What kinds of questions is the September bride asking? Is she trying to get out of the contract?

karensjustdessert Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 10

You can't be 100% sure it is the coordinator, but yes, it does seem coincidental. I have had a couple of high profile cake disasters that lost me business. I could not blame anyone but myself, and while not everything that occurred was within my control leading up to big disappointments for the customers, it is ultimately my responsibility to deal with any consequences. So, all I can advise is that if the bride drops out, it's less of a headache for you than dealing with that coordinator again.

karensjustdessert Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 10

You can't be 100% sure it is the coordinator, but yes, it does seem coincidental. I have had a couple of high profile cake disasters that lost me business. I could not blame anyone but myself, and while not everything that occurred was within my control leading up to big disappointments for the customers, it is ultimately my responsibility to deal with any consequences. So, all I can advise is that if the bride drops out, it's less of a headache for you than dealing with that coordinator again.

indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 10

I think it depends on what the bride is asking.

I openly tell and joke with my brides about my mishaps (like the time I cut up the bride's throwaway-bouquet because it was on the cake table. I thought they were cake flowers! icon_surprised.gif ) But as part of that conversation, I also share what I learned and why it won't happen again.

vtcake Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 10

It's the wedding coordinator's job to protect her brides, so it's understandable if she'd alert the Sept. bride about the recent cake mishap.

I would not be happy if my planner knew of a vendor disaster at a prior wedding and didn't tell me. Refunding part of the $$ to the last bride was an honorable thing for you to do, but it won't assure the next bride that her cake won't have problems as well.

I hope it works out okay for you.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 10

It sounds like you need to have a face to face with your bride. Just be honest and ask her what has happened to make her question your ability. If it turns out that the disaster is what she has conserns about then I would give her some refferences to call and talk to brides who were please with your work. I would also tell her what happened and what you learned from the situation. As for the coordinator part of me wants you to talk to her about what happened when one of her weddings did not go off just as she had planned but I think you should probably jsut leave her out of it and work on proving her wrong about you.

kikster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 10

Unfortunately you can't really blame the coordinator for warning her bride. I think sometimes those disasters are just going to cost some business. Just part of it. Maybe if you talk to the Sept bride about her concerns you can get cleared up, but to be honest, if it was me, I don't know if I would want to do it under that kind of pressure, if they are looking for you to mess up. Either way, I wouldn't worry to much. A cake is not like a house, sometimes they are going to fall or melt or whatever. It will have happened to even the most seasoned pros.

cupcakeco Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:35am
post #9 of 10

Everyone's had great advice so far, not much really for me to say. Except: remind your BTB that a contract is a contract, bound by law. If she insists on cutting ties with you, for her to break her contract would be a forfieture of her deposit, in the very least.

As for the coordinator, I'd be leery of speaking to her about ANY of my business from now on-- cake related or not.

abruntz Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all for the great advise I will definitely be having a heart to heart with bride here this week.
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%