Time Frame For Cookies..

Baking By mindy1204 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 1:03pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 12

I have to make about 60 cookies and 2, 2 tier cakes for the same weekend. My sister has agreed to help with the cookies.

In reading Antonia74 (?) how to, my plan is not going to work. We were hoping to bake all the cookies and freeze them and then the weekend before frost and decorate them all and then package them up. Based on her time line I need to have 18 hrs between the decorating.

Do you all wait that long. We were hoping to get all the decorating done in one day if all the cookies are baked.

11 replies
Swede-cakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 12

I've not read Antonia74's timeline that you're speaking of, but It doesn't take me 18 hours to make cookies. Maybe I misunderstood what you said in your post.

Here's my timeline, for what it's worth...
~ 15 minutes to make double batch of dough. Separate into multiple dough balls.
~ Chill one hour.
~ Roll and cut takes about a half hour for 4 dozen cookies (I cut them all first, then cookie sheet them so they wait in line for the oven).
~ Baking time total is 40 min. Cool all, and freeze.

When I'm ready to decorate, I have all my RI colors prepared. Here's where I save time...instead of piping a border and flooding, I turn the cookie over and dip the front lightly into the bowl of RI, let excess drip off and turn over onto a rack or tray. My RI self-levels and settles nice and smooth. Once set, I pipe on the accents. 4 dozen cookies takes me about an hour and 30 to decorate. Once set again, I bag and tie (15-20 min.)

So total time frame for me is approx. 4.5 hours from start to finish.

RachieRach Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 12

Mindy - it depends on the decoration and size of cookie. To save time, you could try wet on wet designs. That way you don't have to wait for the base cookie to dry before decorating.

It is totally possible for the 2 of you to decorate all 60 cookies in one day. But if possible, let them sit overnight before bagging. I have put finished cookies in the fridge or freezer to speed up the drying process and couldn't detect a change in taste.

mindy1204 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 12

On her directions it says to put the base on and then wait 14-18 hrs for it to dry before adding the additional designs. That is what I was worried about i guess I can try some and just see how it goes.

Also does anyone know how long I can freeze already cut and cooked cookies, not decorated?

Swede-cakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 12

I froze cookies two weeks prior to our family reunion, and there was no taste difference to any of us when we finally ate them. I think using the Ziploc freezer bags helps.

How far in advance were you hoping to make them?

mindy1204 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 12

If I do them this weekend it will be 2 weeks but prob next weekend so only 1 weekend.

MichelleM77 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 12

Use something other than RI to decorate your base, then you can pipe RI details immediately after doing your base. By morning you should be able to package, unless it's extremely humid, then allow more time obviously.

Swede-cakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #8 of 12

MichelleM77 is right about trying something besides RI. I mix conf. sugar, a little water, some corn syrup and a bit of vanilla. It dries to the touch fairly soon, so I decorate without having to wait til next day.

You two can definitely get this done! Best of luck!

mindy1204 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #9 of 12

I was told to use the icing listed in the wilton yearbooks that has corn syrup. But then I saw the other one. I guess i can try them both.

MichelleM77 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #10 of 12

I was thinking more along the lines of a fondant base, but it sounds like swede-cakes' idea would work too. icon_smile.gif

JenWhitlock Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 12

I like to wait at least half a day before bagging the cookies so that the RI is really set, but not necessarily so long in between base layer and details (can depend on colors so - i.e. if you have really vibrant colors you might want to wait longer...)

also, I made a bunch of decorated cookies to sell at my farmers market - sold most, not all. so as an experiment I put them in the freeze for about a week. (decorated, cello bagged and heat sealed).
they tasted fine. my kids never knew the difference.

hope this helps.

oh yeah, and I've been making on the order of 5 dz cookies several times this summer. the baking isn't bad - I have 5 cookie sheets that I rotate.
I figured out that it takes me about 10minutes per cookie to pipe/decorate on average. (yep, that's 5 hours to do all of them)
mixing colors can take an hour+ depending on how many colors and how many consistencies, and bagging can take over an hour.

good luck.

mindy1204 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for the tips. I may do a trial run this weekend, my kids will enjoy the cookies no matter how the look icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%