Cricut Machines..3 Differnt Sizes And Prices..which One?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 8:39pm by cavette

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 22

Okay...like everyone else I am really interested in buying a Cricut Machine for mostly doing letters,Fonts etc with gumpaste and maybe dabble a bit in scrapbooking to make cards etc thumbs_up.gif ...I hate trying to cut those out by hand icon_mad.gif Anyway....I see there is 3 different machines...The Cricut Personal,Expressions and the original design....besides being 3 different prices..one way more than the other...What is the main difference? My Michael's flyer just arrived and they have a Cricut Personal on sale for $129.99 regular $269.00.Will this model do what I want it to do without spending almost $400.00 for the expressions model?? Or should I buy the expressions? I am guessing the cartridges are interchangeable with all models...

Can any scrapbookers out there please explain models and what the features are.. icon_wink.gif What is better....or not....I don't want to do thousands of things with it that is why I am reluctant to spend alot of money on the most expensive one icon_confused.gif

Thoughts....

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

21 replies
PinkZiab Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 22

I have the expression and I love it because I use it for a lot of large items around the house, outside of scrapbooking and cakes. It's only $279 on Amazon, by the way.

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks PinkZiab...but I live in Canada so you have to consider dollar exchange...customs....shipping etc...I don't think it would end up being a good deal for me!

PinkZiab Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 22

ahhhh sorry I totally was not even thinking about that lol

tiggerjo Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 22

Do you live close to a border? I know alot of people who have their packages shipped to a UPS dealer and pick it up themselves from there. Saves them a considerable amout of money.

tiggerjo Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 22

Do you live close to a border? I know alot of people who have their packages shipped to a UPS dealer and pick it up themselves from there. Saves them a considerable amout of money.

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 22

No I don't..I live in the middle of Alberta..Above Montana....Thanks Though...anyone chime in on the difference of models etc....

PinkLisa Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 22

How do you use this for cakes?

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 22

There is a few threads on here about how you can use thin gumpase in the cricut machine to cut out fonts,shapes, etc...Decorations for cakes etc...Makes it easier than cutting out by hand!

PinkLisa Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 22

Thanks Kiddiekakes. I'll do a search. I've seen those machines at Michaels but was surprised to hear they could be used for cakes.

cookiemama2 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 22

I'm looking for the same info as well, and from Canada. But here are a few things I've picked up from the other threads....

i use a Cricut to cut gumpaste. First of all, you have to remove all of the tackiness from the cutting mat, otherwise you can't get the paste off after it's cut. (I literally rub it all off with my fingers then wash the mat in hot water.) To hold the paste in place, I apply a thin smear of crisco to the mat. I roll the paste thin, to a #7 on my pasta machine, and let it dry slightly. It works best with old gumpaste actually. I trim the paste so that it does not extend beyond the area that paper would normally be on the mat. I set the blade depth to a 4.

I get very clean, precise cuts except when the blade needs to be cleaned (after about 24 uses). I just remove the blade holder and use a straight pin to flick out the build up of paste. It comes right out, and I'm up and running again.

got the small machine for $99 at Michaels. I have found the cartridges are best priced on ebay. I am bidding on a few and will do buy it now on a few. Better prices than at the craft stores and larger selection. I got that other program too but haven't used it yet. Have to play with it. I put the gumpaste through my pasta machine to the thinnest setting. I have the blade on 4, the pressure on 1 and the speed on 4. After I rolled it out I stuck it on the mat that I took all the sticky off of. I used a thin layer of crisco to stick it down. Put it in the machine and cut away.

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 22

Thanks Cookiemama2.....Yes..I have saved all these threads as well...Now I just need to know about the machines....I will go and get the one on sale Saturday if I can use that one but I don't want to spend money on it if it is no good!!

PinkLisa Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 22

Thank you Cookiemama2!!!! Great information!!!

Jaimelt76 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:37pm
post #14 of 22

My understanding is the only diffrence is the size they can cut. If you are only using it on cakes and cards the small one will work. The small one is the one I am looking at buying. I believe it cuts a 6x12 and most cakes are only 4" high. I hope this helps you.

cavette Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 22

I have the Expression and I'm glad I bought this one cause you know how it is we always want bigger so I just started out big! i use mine's for invitations for the kids and we make cards and i also use it to cut fabric for decorating baby items like blankets, diaper bags and other thing so it is so awesome! Now I have the video to learn to cut gumpaste so there's a new thing added to the list of things to use it for! It's really up to you what size you want to get but I would get the large one cause really if you get it at Wal-mart the larger one and the smaller is not to different in price and with the larger one you can change the blade to use the deep-cut blade! just my thoughts on it!

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 22

Thanks Cavette..That really helps out....so the smaller personal machine doesn't have a deep enough blade to cut through gumpaste?? The expressions does....

cavette Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 22

I got the video today and Linda ( the lady that made the dvd) stated that the deep blade gives you a better cut! i haven't used it yet just watching the dvd right now but her cuts are so nice and it didnt tear in the cricut! the deep blade is not as low to the item as the regular one is! But really they all do the same thing except for the size it can cut and the deep blade part! Hope that helps!

kissmecakes2009 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm
post #18 of 22

I currently have the expression, I recently traded my person electronic cutter( the small, original one) in for the bigger machine. I've never used it for fondant or gumpaste, just for scrapbooking and crafts, but I thought I'd try to give you some ideas.
Both machines are positively wonderful! You can do so many, many things with them, regardless of whether you have one or twenty cartridges. The small machine cuts up to 6" x 12" which would be more than enough size for 4 inch high cakes.
The expression cuts up to 12 x 24 which is really big for any kind of craft. The expression also has quite a few more features that makes thing alot easier, such as the "auto fill" which will fill you page with as many cuts as possible. On the small machine you would have to press the same character button that many times to get it to cut that many shapes.
Provocraft, the company that makes the machines is very very helpful when it comes to customer service and they can walk you through any hiccups you might have. The "Cricut Design Studio" is a really great program, a very good investment. You can broaden your capabilites so much more with this program. I haven't used Sure Cuts Alot, but it basically runs along the same lines as the Design Studio.
All in all, if you have the money to spend on the expression, the extra features are worth the upgrade, but if you know you are going to be cutting mostly small to medium sized shapes, the smaller machine is best. You should also try looking on craigslist for machines, and of course ebay. I got my expression on ebay with one cartridge for $219.00
I hope I've helped answer some of your questions, if you want to know anything else, please let me know!

kissmecakes2009 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:24pm
post #19 of 22

I currently have the expression, I recently traded my person electronic cutter( the small, original one) in for the bigger machine. I've never used it for fondant or gumpaste, just for scrapbooking and crafts, but I thought I'd try to give you some ideas.
Both machines are positively wonderful! You can do so many, many things with them, regardless of whether you have one or twenty cartridges. The small machine cuts up to 6" x 12" which would be more than enough size for 4 inch high cakes.
The expression cuts up to 12 x 24 which is really big for any kind of craft. The expression also has quite a few more features that makes thing alot easier, such as the "auto fill" which will fill you page with as many cuts as possible. On the small machine you would have to press the same character button that many times to get it to cut that many shapes.
Provocraft, the company that makes the machines is very very helpful when it comes to customer service and they can walk you through any hiccups you might have. The "Cricut Design Studio" is a really great program, a very good investment. You can broaden your capabilites so much more with this program. I haven't used Sure Cuts Alot, but it basically runs along the same lines as the Design Studio.
All in all, if you have the money to spend on the expression, the extra features are worth the upgrade, but if you know you are going to be cutting mostly small to medium sized shapes, the smaller machine is best. You should also try looking on craigslist for machines, and of course ebay. I got my expression on ebay with one cartridge for $219.00
I hope I've helped answer some of your questions, if you want to know anything else, please let me know!

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #20 of 22

Thankyou so much Kissmecakes....This is what I was after...some insight on what does what...I really appreciate it..Now I guess I should save up for the expressions...

kissmecakes2009 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #21 of 22

cavette Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:39pm
post #22 of 22

I bought mine's a HSN and it was a great deal plus I got it in a week and I didnt have to pay up front i make payments but for me that was the way to go since I didnt have it all up front! Just a thought!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%