Help To Decorate Top Tier Border, If Unassembled.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 11:45pm by Loucinda

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a two tier fondant covered cake for Saturday. The bottom tier is 10" on a 12" cake circle, and the top tier is 8" on an 8" cake circle. I had hoped to assemble on site because it's my first stacked cake, and I don't want to risk a disaster...but HOW do I decorate the top tier border?

I really want to do the ball border, but have no idea how I can do it without having to manually do it on site! icon_eek.gif What do I do??

Please help!
TIA!

7 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 8

For just a two tiered cake I would put them together at home and do the border, and just put a dowel down thru the two tiers, and it would be fine.I don't ever do that, but I have had disasters from other people delivering the cake.I know how to drive with a cake in the car, but some people don't understand that. I just don't know how you could do it seperately unless you put it on a bigger plate. If you don't want to do that, I think you would have to put the balls on after you put it together at the site.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

manually do it on site!

that's exactly how I do it and it can be a real pain, but it beats transporting assembled and maybe not getting there at all. icon_biggrin.gif I just make sure that I have plenty of time to assemble, do the borders, fix any little boo-boo's and get out in plenty of time before the festivities start.

For a two-tier cake, I think I would assemble at home, use a center dowel and drive really carefully. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 8

You could make the balls ahead of time and put them in a ziplock bag, then when you get there they'd be fairly quick.

K82me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K82me Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 8

You could make it out of fondant. When you get there put the cakes together and then add the balls of fondant to the top layer icon_smile.gif

K82me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K82me Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 8

You could make it out of fondant. When you get there put the cakes together and then add the balls of fondant to the top layer icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone!
I will have to carefully consider what would be better for me to do. I don't even have a box big enough to transport a stacked 2-tier cake, so I don't know how I would do that.

Ugh. I may have to get to the site early and assemble there. icon_cry.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 8

I assemble on site all the time - not a big deal at all. I just did a 4 tier one and had to do all the ball border on 3 tiers on site. Just get to the site with plenty of time. One perk to doing this, is you get LOTS of attention while working on the cake (I have lots of business cards with me to hand out, people ALWAYS ask for them!) icon_biggrin.gif

Here is the one I did on site:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1408710

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%