Help Please!!! Ribbon And Wax Paper!

Decorating By DeeDee1520 Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 4:28pm by DeeDee1520

DeeDee1520 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 9

I am making my first wedding cake, and I would liked to use ribbon on it. The heat index here in Texas will be about 110 degrees with about 90 percent humidity tomorrow and I am worried about the ribbon against the buttercream! Thank goodness the reception is indoors!! I have read here on this forum that there is a trick using wax paper with the ribbon. Would anyone please explain this technique in newbie detail to help me out? Thanks soooo much!!!!

8 replies
auntiecake Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 9

There are several forums on this with other options that work better. I have done this and is seems like the wax paper isn't waxy enough to coat the ribbon and the grease still soaked through the ribbon. I can't remember all the alternatives, so search the forums. It will be very worth while and the end result will be better.

JenJane Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 9

I don't know if this helps but I know before someone mentioned about doubling up the ribbon so there are two layers of it.

JenJane Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 9

I don't know if this helps but I know before someone mentioned about doubling up the ribbon so there are two layers of it.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 9

Some back the ribbon with clear contact paper.

marilyn Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 9

I tried ironing the waxed paper with the ribbon and it didn't work for me. Now I stick the ribbon on contact paper (clear) and cut it to the same size as the ribbon. Good luck, Marilyn

Loucinda Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 9

I just grease the whole ribbon to begin with, then you have no worries! icon_smile.gif (some use PAM to spray it, I just rub shortning on it)

abslu Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 9

Hi DeeDee! I'm attaching (or going to try to attach) the picture of my first wedding cake. I used clear packing tape on the back of the ribbon, it worked like a charm!! The picture is a little fuzzy, but you get the idea! Good luck with your first wedding cake!! Make sure to give yourself pleanty of time, and have extra ingredients on hand . . . just in case.
LL

DeeDee1520 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for such quick response, I appreciate it more than you know!!! I am thankful to have a group of experts that I can turn to for help with this craft that I absolutely love doing! I tried the wax paper ironing this morning and it did not seem to do anything and it certainly did not adhere to the ribbon like I thought it would...now, you have given me several other avenues to try and try I will!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%