Fondant - Just Figured Out A Quick And Easy Tip!!!!

Decorating By cheekymonkey06 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 10:20pm by artscallion

cheekymonkey06 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 15

I made three batches of fondant last night in under 45 minutes and that includes coloring two of the batches. Usually I knead my fondant on my kitchen table. This is the part of cake making that I usually dread because the clean up is such a pain. I decided to try and make the process a little more efficient and clean-up friendly.

Instead of kneading the fondant directly on the table, I used a casserole dish! I covered the work area (where I would be kneading the fondant) with plastic wrap and placed a large casserole dish on top of the plastic wrap. The plastic wrap helped prevent slipping and caught excess sugar that might poof out from time to time. When it was time to clean up, I popped the casserole dish in the sink and tossed the saran wrap. Voila! No muss no fuss!

14 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 15

That's a great idea! I am lazy and make my fondant with the mixer icon_biggrin.gif but I bet a casserole dish would be easier to clean than the mixer bowl.

CanadianCakin Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 15

Nice! That sounds much easier! I might have to try that today

klallen21 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 15

that's awesome! is this marshmallow fondant you're making?

ajb2007 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 15

Hello,
I am new here! This is my first post and I just wanted to say that I will be trying your trick in the casserole dish tomorrow!!
Aliza

FlourPots Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #6 of 15

I hate the mess too, so I knead in a large, deep bowl.

icer101 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:22am
post #7 of 15

i make mine in the mixer too.. whether mmf. or mff.. but alway knead on the counter.. will try this method too. thank you for sharing..

in2cakes2 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:39am
post #8 of 15

Welcome ajb2007!

cupcakeco Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:50am
post #9 of 15

I actually bought a large rigid plastic placemat from Dollar Tree and a silicone baking mat also. I place the silicone underneath which prevents slipping, and knead on the placemat. Works like a charm. icon_wink.gif

dhccster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:16am
post #10 of 15

Thanks for sharing your tip.. I am going to try it.

MLand Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:31am
post #11 of 15

When I was thinking bout making mmf and watched a few videos they always turning it out onto the counter or table. I did NOT want to clean that up, so I went to a resturant place that was open to the public. Bought the biggest metal bowl they had. IT IS THE BEST for mmf.

MLand Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:31am
post #12 of 15

When I was thinking bout making mmf and watched a few videos they always turning it out onto the counter or table. I did NOT want to clean that up, so I went to a resturant place that was open to the public. Bought the biggest bowl they had. IT IS THE BEST for mmf.

ahuvas Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:41am
post #13 of 15

I also just use a large plastic bowel from the dollar store and knead inside that - I have never turned it out onto the counter - too much mess!

idgalpal Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 15

You folks are Brilliant! I can't wait to try this~

artscallion Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:20pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

That's a great idea! I am lazy and make my fondant with the mixer icon_biggrin.gif but I bet a casserole dish would be easier to clean than the mixer bowl.

Do you grease your dough hook and mixer bowl first? Someone recommended that. I tried it and cleanup became a breeze.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%