Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By aggieangel Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 11:59pm by aggieangel

aggieangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggieangel Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 7

I have a cake due this weekend and was going to try the FBCT, I am a bit nervous as this is the first time I will attempt it. I have read the post here and seems simple, I am just nervous. The customer wants real butter, no Crisco, will this work?

6 replies
mkm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 7

I'm no expert, but I'd guess it'd work just as well without the shortening as with it. The frozen buttercream transfer should be fine. The only concern is that you're not in a humid/hot environment. I wouldn't want all your hard work to melt once you got the cake to the party. Hope this helps!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 7

If you use the recipe that is included with the article that is on the website it has a high ratio of butter to crisco. It works wonderfully. I have done several of them using the recipe and it is great!!! The article link is : http://cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

The recipe link is:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream_Icing_for_Frozen_Transfers.html

HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 7

Yes you can use all butter. I use what I normally use on my cakes (all crisco) and really don't see a need to make a different icing for the FBCT. The all butter icing will freeze hard and what is what you are looking for.

I love doing these myself and have done many of them. Just make sure you don't make it too thin and that you move fast once you pull it out of the freezer. icon_smile.gif

aggieangel Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you all very much, I feel a bit better about all of it. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of 7

The key is to freeze it for 12 hours or more before putting it on the cake. Make sure it's nice and solid, which makes for better peeling off the paper.

It will start to melt and blend into the icing on the cake almost as soon as you put it on there, but that's a good thing. It looks like it's part of the cake, and not something that just place on top of the cake.

Oh, and I think parchment paper is better to work with than wax paper.

I fell in love with this technique from my very first one! You'll love it!

aggieangel Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 7

The transfer came out alright for the first try, I think the icing on the back was too thick, but my secretary loved the cake. Will try and post soon. I will definitely try this again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%