Hi, I'm New With A 'made From Scratch' Fondant Question

Decorating By southernbakes Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 9:28pm by mgwebb68

southernbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:26am
post #1 of 24

So I was attempting my second cake today and this time I tried making my own fondant. It seemed to go pretty well but I cannot get it right. It's staying sticky and not thick (is that the right word) enough.

The recipe said to add more powdered sugar if it was sticky but I think I must have added at least another cup and it didn't help at all. At that point I Just gave up.

Has anyone run into this and have any tips you'd be willing to share?

Thanks!!

23 replies
in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:32am
post #2 of 24

Which recipe are you using?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 24

Gotta know which recipe you are using.

cakeordeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeordeath Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 24

I have the a super simple fondant recipe that I love. I just use one cup of crisco, 1 cup of corn syrup, and a 2 lb bag of powered sugar.

cakeordeath Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 24

I have a super simple fondant recipe that I love. I just use one cup of crisco, 1 cup of corn syrup, and a 2 lb bag of powered sugar.

singinglark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singinglark Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 24

cakeordeath...how does that fondant taste? I am still looking for a fondant recipe that my customers don't complain about the taste. I make the MF which tastes good..but can't get the smooth finish I like.

singinglark Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 24

cakeordeath...how does that fondant taste? I am still looking for a fondant recipe that my customers don't complain about the taste. I make the MF which tastes good..but can't get the smooth finish I like.

singinglark Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 24

cakeordeath Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 24

it taste just like buttercreme, only with fondant consistency

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 24

would you mind sharing the recipie and directions?? i ran into the same problem, it just turned into a greacy sticky mess!! btw, i used T's mmf recipie, how can i salvage it???

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 24

would you mind sharing the recipie and directions?? i ran into the same problem, it just turned into a greacy sticky mess!! btw, i used T's mmf recipie, how can i salvage it???

tirkster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirkster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 24

I'd love the recipe for your simple fondant that tastes like buttercream. I'm a newbie to cake decorating and haven't tried my luck with fondant yet! Thanks.

cakeordeath Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #13 of 24

all i do is mix together 1 cup of crisco with one cup or light cornsyrup. The I por in about half of a two pound bag of powered sugar. I mix those together by hand and then add the rest of the back and mix until all the sugar is mixed into it. then when im ready to use it, i rub a little crisco in the palm of my hands and knead it again. Its really that simple.

yiyo21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yiyo21 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:01am
post #14 of 24

can you flavor this fondant?

cakeordeath Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:08am
post #15 of 24

yes any flavor you want, just add the flavor to the crisco and corn syrup, then mix and add your powdered sugar

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:23am
post #16 of 24

southern cakes,
if you are using a mmf recipe that asks for 8 cups of powerdered sugar, then that's the same one i use. i always end up using about 10 cups total, so even if you've added 1 cup, you might need another!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:23am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeordeath

I have the a super simple fondant recipe that I love. I just use one cup of crisco, 1 cup of corn syrup, and a 2 lb bag of powered sugar.

That's the basic recipe for Rolled Buttercream (RBC).

singinglark Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:24pm
post #18 of 24

I tried the crisco, corn syrup, powdered sugar recipe on two cakes this weekend. It tastes great but I found it very hard to move the rolled fondant on to my cake layers without it stretching and breaking in the middle. I used my large rolling pin and sort of rolled it up but still, without having 2 additional people (which I didn't) it didn't really help. Any tips on that? I think the MMF is a little more pliable and easier to cover with. I did like that you don't have to grease and re-grease a bunch of times like you do with the MMF.

singinglark Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #19 of 24

I tried the crisco, corn syrup, powdered sugar recipe on two cakes this weekend. It tastes great but I found it very hard to move the rolled fondant on to my cake layers without it stretching and breaking in the middle. I used my large rolling pin and sort of rolled it up but still, without having 2 additional people (which I didn't) it didn't really help. Any tips on that? I think the MMF is a little more pliable and easier to cover with. I did like that you don't have to grease and re-grease a bunch of times like you do with the MMF.

cakeordeath Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #20 of 24

i roll it out on a large nonstick mat and then flip the map over onto the cake

cakeordeath Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #21 of 24

i roll it out on a large nonstick mat and then flip the map over onto the cake

singinglark Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:45pm
post #22 of 24

That's what I was thinking I would try next time. I was even thinking of sticking the mat in the fridge for 5 minutes or so to let the fondant harden slightly.

southernbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:07pm
post #23 of 24

I think I actually used the same recipe as cakeordeath but mine was super sticky. I think I screwed up with the corn syrup though.

This is the recipe I used, I don't remember where I found it
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectionerâs sugar

Directions:
In a large bowl, stir together the shortening and corn syrup. Mix in the salt and vanilla flavoring, then gradually mix in the confectioners' sugar until it is a stiff dough. If you are using a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment. Otherwise, knead by hand. If the dough is sticky, knead in more confectioners' sugar until it is smooth. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:28pm
post #24 of 24

cakeordeath - is it really that easy? I've been trying several recipes. I've found ones that I like the taste of, found ones that I like the consistency and workability of, but I have yet to find one that "works like a charm" and "works every time". I've got a very special caked planned in September for my Hubby and I'm going to need lots of fondant and I've been planning to start trying recipes this month to see what I come up with.

I need a load of black fondant, can you sub some of the powdered sugar to get brown (so I won't have as far to go to get to black) and still have the right consistency?

OP - Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, but I'm having trouble conquering fondant myself and I always check threads about it. One thing I do know is that you may just still need to add more powdered sugar. I can get recipes to work, they just don't seem as easy as everyone says. Of course I can't make a stupid BC rose (or any dang rose for that matter) so I guess I shouldn't expect to be able to conquer fondant that easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%