What Filling Goes With Lemon Cake?

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 2:16am by hellohappycakes

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:39am
post #1 of 13

I've decided to tell my friend I'm not going to do the super hero cake because I just don't think I can do what she wants and use WF.

So, I'm backed to my flip flop cake for myself as practice. I'm going to take to a bunco night with some friends. Hopefully, the cake will turn out really well and I'll get some business. icon_cool.gif

I was planning on doing a lemon cake, but was wondering with flip flop cakes do you torte and fill it and if so what goes well with lemon?

12 replies
val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:49am
post #2 of 13

Hi,

I can't answer the question about torting a flip flop cake (although I don't see why not)- but I do know that raspberry filling goes very good with lemon cake!

HTH,
Valerie.

CakesDownTheFamilyLine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesDownTheFamilyLine Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:50am
post #3 of 13

Martha Stewart in her book of wedding cakes has a lemon cake and she suggested to use lemon curd as a filling and or Swiss Meringue Butter cream

Hope it helps!!!
Good luck!!! thumbs_up.gif

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:50am
post #4 of 13

Hi,

I can't answer the question about torting a flip flop cake (although I don't see why not)- but I do know that raspberry filling goes very good with lemon cake!

HTH,
Valerie.

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:32am
post #5 of 13

yes, you can torte any kind of cake you wish. Just make sure that your filling is 1. dammed really well if you are using a jam, curd, pudding, etc or 2. your filling is a buttercream that is chilled somewhat first.

As far as filling flavors, I'm with Valerie...raspberry is very nice with lemon. Lemon and raspberry is a very popular flavor combination with my clients. We have used both raspberry jam and raspberry italian meringue buttercream. Some other flavors that have been requested with our lemon cake is: cream cheese, strawberry, blackberry, amaretto.

HTH
Good luck and God Bless

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:34am
post #6 of 13

yes, you can torte any kind of cake you wish. Just make sure that your filling is 1. dammed really well if you are using a jam, curd, pudding, etc or 2. your filling is a buttercream that is chilled somewhat first.

As far as filling flavors, I'm with Valerie...raspberry is very nice with lemon. Lemon and raspberry is a very popular flavor combination with my clients. We have used both raspberry jam and raspberry italian meringue buttercream. Some other flavors that have been requested with our lemon cake is: cream cheese, strawberry, blackberry, amaretto.

HTH
Good luck and God Bless

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:44am
post #7 of 13

Torte it very thinly and put very thin layers of swiss meringue buttercream.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:57am
post #8 of 13

Oooh, blueberry. As well as blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, vanilla mousse, I could go on & on

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you all for the suggestions. icon_smile.gif
I think I will try the raspberry mousse with the lemon cake. SOUNDS YUMMY! I just hope I can make it taste as good as it sounds. icon_lol.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 13

I've made a flip flop cake and can tell you that I did it both ways and would not torte it when doing it again. It is such a narrow cake in places that the layers want to slide around... that being said, if you absolutely must torte so that you can practice, I'd go with a fruit filling as it will rather absorb into the cake and might cut down on those layers wanting to fight it out for supremacy. icon_lol.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1269333

These were torted and I really had to fight to keep them from wanting to slide around. I chilled them, cut down on how much filling there was, froze them, etc. and the layers still wanted to shift a little. Maybe it was just a bad day for flip flops. icon_lol.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 13

As long as you have a good thick dam of buttercream between the layers, you should be ok.

One thing that has helped me

1) Put down bottom layer
2) Pipe buttercream dam
3) Lay out a piece of wax paper & place on top of buttercream dam
4) Lay a flat baking sheet or cake pan on top of the wax paper & press down lightly
5) Take of pan & wax paper & fill
6) Place 2nd layer on top of bottom filled layer
7) Lay wax paper & baking sheet on top of the top layer & press down again
8 ) Take the thick buttercream & pipe around the middle, filling in any gaps between the two layers - -smoothing it w/ a spatula
9) Crumb coat & let sit a couple hours if you can

This has become my lifesaver. My thick buttercream is thick enough I can roll balls w/ it.

ETA: took out an emoticon I didn't know was there

JenJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJane Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 13

I torted my flip flop cake and didn't have any problems at all. Like everyone is saying just make sure you have a good dam.

hellohappycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellohappycakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:16am
post #13 of 13

OOhh lemon yummy!! I have used this so many times and have my family hooked on it too....lemoncurd buttercream!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%