I'm Soooo Proud Of My Latest Cake!!!

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 6:46pm by dhccster

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 38

I'm soooo excited about this cake. It turned out so well! Hooray! The stand is made out of a piece of wood for the base, a candlestick, a piece of mdf that has the same shape as the bottom piece of wood, a dowel, and then a wheel topped with a round wooden ball.

There are 4 pound cakes stacked to get the height of the body. This was the first cake I carved all by myself from start to finish. I usually recruit my dh for carving.

Below you can see the cake in the "carved" stage before adding the buttercream between the layers. The filling added almost 2" to the height of the dummy.

And here's a link to the finished cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1410981.html
LL

37 replies
jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:50am
post #2 of 38

WOW!!! That is just stunning, you should feel pretty darn proud. I can't wait to see the guitar cake next. thumbs_up.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 38

wow, that looks so cool! You should be proud! Amazing! thumbs_up.gif

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #4 of 38

Holy Crow!!!!! That is truly amazing!!!!!! It totally looks real!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:13am
post #5 of 38

Nice job!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:26am
post #6 of 38

Lol...it really is all about the "holy shizz" factor, ain't it? That's what I go for! icon_biggrin.gif GREAT JOB!!!!

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 38

so cool!! i wouldn't even know where to start on something like that,great job on all of it!! thumbs_up.gif

mkm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 38

Simply incredible! I'd love to see a tutorial on this! Great work!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 38

Very cool! Thanks for telling us how you made it too! I'm gonna go check out the final product!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 38

you should be proud
that is freaking awesome

amazing job

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #11 of 38

I'd say it too... HOLY SH!!! that is really cool. I wish I can be as daring as you are... someday, someday... thumbs_up.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 38

Looks fantastic. How did you get that "fabric" to drape without ripping?

gatorcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:46pm
post #13 of 38

Amazing!

gatorcakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 38

Amazing!

gatorcakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #15 of 38

Amazing!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:51pm
post #16 of 38

Absolutely amazing. I hope to be that good someday. That is great work and the finished product is strickingly amazing. You have every right to be proud.

CakeInfatuation Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:55pm
post #17 of 38

Ahhhhh.... the no tearing part! Let me start by saying that in the last month I've been introduced to Satin Ice. As far as tearing goes... it's the worst! I've made Michele Fosters fondant, Rhonda's Ultimate MMF, and I've used Wilton. All three work better. As far as taste.... Well... I'm sure Satin Ice tastes better than Wilton, but in all honesty, from my limited experience nothing beats that Wilton ability to stretch and NOT tear!

I used Satin Ice for this and added in some Satin Ice Gum Paste. I'm not sure how else to roll this stuff thin and be able to pick it up and not have it tear right in my hand. Talk about frustrating. The left sleeve did tear on me when I attached it. Had to take it off, reinforce from the inside and try again.

I did learn a beautiful technique (trial and error) with these zebra stripes. I use a silicone mat, roll out the white, spritz with water, rub around so it's slightly damp but not at all wet, take a 2nd silicone mat and cover the white. Then I start rolling and cutting my stripes, lay on the white, and cover back up to keep from drying out. When I have the pattern down, I roll ON TOP, of the silicone mat covering my design. It prevents a mess and basically makes a seamless pattern that won't tear at the edges of the color differences. I didn't have my pattern wrapping around my rolling pin or smearing the damp black all over the clean white.

As far as the sleeves not tearing and falling off... A LOT of prayer! ha ha I was terrified they would fall apart in transit and it would be ruined. Thank Jesus that didn't happen!

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:05pm
post #18 of 38

Amazing Job!! Thanks for all the tips!! I agree about Satin Ice... I thought it was just me. I bought my first tub at Maryland show in May and couldn't wait to try it.... but when I did, I wanted to cry!!! icon_cry.gif
Again, wonderful job!!!
~ Jaime

ladybug76 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:08pm
post #19 of 38

Amazing Job!! Thanks for all the tips!! I agree about Satin Ice... I thought it was just me. I bought my first tub at Maryland show in May and couldn't wait to try it.... but when I did, I wanted to cry!!! icon_cry.gif
Again, wonderful job!!!
~ Jaime

ladybug76 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:08pm
post #20 of 38

Again, wonderful job!!!
~ Jaime

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #21 of 38

WOW! Awesome job!...one day Ill be at that level...hopefully! icon_smile.gif well done!

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #22 of 38

WOW! Awesome job!...one day Ill be at that level...hopefully! icon_smile.gif well done!

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #23 of 38

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #24 of 38

THAT IS A JOB WELL DONE, CONGRATULATIONS GREAT CAKE

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #25 of 38

How it is hanging there & not tearing baffles the mind!!! Great job!

cylstrial Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:46pm
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shill

I did learn a beautiful technique (trial and error) with these zebra stripes. I use a silicone mat, roll out the white, spritz with water, rub around so it's slightly damp but not at all wet, take a 2nd silicone mat and cover the white. Then I start rolling and cutting my stripes, lay on the white, and cover back up to keep from drying out. When I have the pattern down, I roll ON TOP, of the silicone mat covering my design. It prevents a mess and basically makes a seamless pattern that won't tear at the edges of the color differences. I didn't have my pattern wrapping around my rolling pin or smearing the damp black all over the clean white.
!

Great tip! Thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 9:44pm
post #27 of 38

The un-carved and finished cakes are TOTALLY AMAZING!!! How'd you keep gravity and the fondant coat from getting into a fight?

I wish I would have looked here for advise when I had to carve 2 cakes within the past few months!!! One was the EARTH! (12" 3D sphere) and the other was a SPHINX (6"W x 14"L x 7-1/2"H)! The sphinx was a LOT more challenging that's for sure. The last thing I ever carved (besides an open book cake) was a clay duck when I was in school ('83 graduate). I thought is was ok until my mom showed me the duck needed a neck! LOL Overall I guess I was happy with how they turned out. I wonder if there's a such thing as templates anywhere out there? I only had a couple pictures to look at. In the end my customer's were happy, so that's all that counts.

(???Can't find the earth pics in this work computer)

Did you say you're going to post directions????? Please?????
icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

cylstrial Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:03am
post #28 of 38

Your sphinx is super cool! You did a great job carving that bad boy!!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #29 of 38

Okay, how did you keep the boobs up and not have them fall like they were on an 88 year old maniquin icon_wink.gif

CakeInfatuation Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #30 of 38

ha ha ha Pound Cake!!!! I did have that concern. I slathered piping gel on the fondant that covered the form of the dummy before putting the coat on. That helped a great deal. The coat is basically stuck all around except for the bottom couple of inches. The sleeves were the challenge. Nothing inside them, only a shoulder to adhere them too.... Ahhh... more piping gel to help make them stick a little...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%