My First Wedding Cake-Help Please (Business Side Of Things)

Business By mirda6275 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm by IsaSW

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 6

Two things first....1 Not sure exactly where this post should go and 2 not asking for help with the design or how to assemble. I'm getting ready to buy SPS and the plates for each tier, I've read others questions on how to do the design they want and it is within my current abilities so I'm not worried there. (for the record, the bride wants a 3-tier, square cake with a ribbon around the bottom.) DH is the best man and this is their wedding gift (they don't know it yet, they've asked me to make the cake and DH and I are planning to gift it to them and tell them about it when we get together next).

My questions are on the professional side of making a wedding cake. What kind of info. do I need to get from them about the reception hall. Do I need to call the hall to verify cake table, delivery time etc? I haven't planned on looking into napkins/cake boxes, should I or would they have ordered napkins when they ordered invites? Should I bring these up to the bride/groom and have them order them if they want them.

I know the name of the reception hall and have found their contact info, but didn't want to call and make and @$$ of myself because I'm asking stupid questions and don't know what I'm doing.

The wedding isn't until mid-November, but I'm worrying now about looking like a fool. And yes, before someone asks, I can legally bake out of my house as long as there isn't a filling that requires refrigeration and I list the ingredients. (Ohio)

Thanks for sitting through the rambling. Nervous.

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 6

You should definitely call the venue, if the bride doesn't know you are bringing the cake, some places charge cutting fee.
I just learned my self about it. Google "wedding cake cutting fee", and you will learn a lot about it.
I don't think you should worry about it. I think the bride you should know, what if she already order dessert and the Venue won't provide extra plates for your cake.
I personally think a wedding cake shouldn't be a surprise.
Hope this helps

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 6

TIA

I recently ran into this with my son's wedding cake, I am making their cake and desserts. The venue charged a vendor fee of $2.00 per person for us to bring in the cake/desserts, plus we had to sign a waiver in case someone was to get sick, how they would know if it was the cake or the food I don't know??? Anyway, they also wanted me to be a licensed bakery, which I am not, I am a hobby baker, and it is a simple cake thank god! I do have my Food Manager Certification and they seemed to accept that. So definately check with the venue on their rules and requirements, the vendor fee does include them serving the cake too, and if the bride needs to sign off make sure she does. HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 6

If you've never been to the facility before, it's common courtesy to call and introduce yourself, let them know you're providing the cake for the Smith wedding on 8-1-09. Ask if they need a copy of your HD license (or equivalent for your area) and a Certificate of Liability Insurance.

(If they say yes on the insurance, you do not just make a copy of your insurance policy. That does them no good whatsoever. They need a Cert of Ins, that your agent will generate and fax/email to them, that lists them as an additional insured. I do at least a dozen of these a year and there is no add'l cost to me for getting them.)

I think it's VERY important to make this call if you've never been there. There was a thread on here not too long ago about an unlicensed cake baker who was refused entrance to a venue because she couldn't provide copy of license and insurance. Bride had no wedding cake.

I also tell them what time I plan to arrive and set up the cake .... does that work ok with them? Is there a specific door I should use to deliver?

As far as napkins, plates, etc., for a drop-off cake, I do not provide those. (Tell me a bakery that provides all of that with a cake. icon_confused.gif I don't know of one, so why would they expect you to provide them? ) It's specifically stated on my contract and on the order form "Bride is responsible for providing table, tablelinen, plates, forks and napkins."

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the tips. I'm a home/hobby baker, but I'm in the process of getting insurance for this purpose. (legal in ohio as long as non-refrigerated)

Thanks for the suggestions, they're along what I was thinking, but as I said before, didn't want to come off as a complete idiot. Isa, they have asked me to do their cake, the only thing they don't know is that it's going to be their gift. We've already started talking about design/servings/flavors and are doing a tasting next month.

Thanks again for all your wonderful suggestions!

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 6

TIA
You are so lucky having a sister already in the business!
Keep us posted of your progress. I know I will.

Carolina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%