Fondant On Whipped Frosting

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 4:27am by miny

cakelovincrazy Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 7

I posted a previous topic about whipped frosting instead of buttercream and was told the fondant accents wouldn't work very well on the whipped frosting.
I found this cake that is with buttercream, but plan on using the whipped frosting instead. The buildings are made out of hershey bars and the only fondant sticking to the cake is the batman logo.
Do you think that would work, the chocolate sticking to the whipped frosting and the batman logo?
If not anysuggestions on how I can make it work?

6 replies
miny Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 7

The chocolate works perfect with whipped frosting and I suggest to do the batman logo as a chocolate transfer but not fondant that way it'll hold to your WF cake, now I have to let you know that unless you airbrush your WF it'll never get those vibrant colors you need for this cake and your black lines are going to bleed, so I suggest again to airbrush the red and use piped chocolate for the web. HTH

miny Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 7

The chocolate works perfect with whipped frosting and I suggest to do the batman logo as a chocolate transfer but not fondant that way it'll hold to your WF cake, now I have to let you know that unless you airbrush your WF it'll never get those vibrant colors you need for this cake and your black lines are going to bleed, so I suggest again to airbrush the red and use piped chocolate for the web. HTH

cakelovincrazy Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

I'm a hobby baker and I have not idea how to do a chocolate transfer and I do not have air brush tools.
I'm getting so frustrated with this cake. icon_cry.gif I offered to do it for a friend just as practice for me and so i could get some nice cakes in my gallery so one day I can hopefully start charging for my cakes. She's insistant on using WF. What do you do when a client ask for this type of cake but wants WF, do you send them away?
Is there any other way I can make her a super hero cake that looks really nice, but is made with WF?
I so tempted to just say forget it. icon_cry.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 7

You could use those cans of wilton spray for the color. But...

It sounds like this cake is making you stress out too much. Since this is for a friend and isn't a paid cake, tell her that you're really only comfortable working with your usual icing. Since you don't have an airbrush and plastic accessories to stick on the whipped frosting (because you're not Walmart's bakery and you shouldn't have to be), you can't make it look like she's thinking of...so she'd be better off getting it from the grocery store.

I'm like you, making cakes to add to my gallery...but I'm only doing the ones that I want to do and that I think will look nice. If someone wants something impossible or thinks that they are going to get a cake from me that looks and tastes like a walmart cake, then I'm too busy on the weekend they're asking about icon_biggrin.gif

cakelovincrazy Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:51am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

You could use those cans of wilton spray for the color. But...

It sounds like this cake is making you stress out too much. Since this is for a friend and isn't a paid cake, tell her that you're really only comfortable working with your usual icing. Since you don't have an airbrush and plastic accessories to stick on the whipped frosting (because you're not Walmart's bakery and you shouldn't have to be), you can't make it look like she's thinking of...so she'd be better off getting it from the grocery store.

I'm like you, making cakes to add to my gallery...but I'm only doing the ones that I want to do and that I think will look nice. If someone wants something impossible or thinks that they are going to get a cake from me that looks and tastes like a walmart cake, then I'm too busy on the weekend they're asking about icon_biggrin.gif

You are so right! I just realized that is why walmarts wf cakes work is because they use plastic accesories.
I just got an email from her asking about a sheet cake now! icon_eek.gif I think I will just tell her unless she wants to switch to buttercream then she should get it from a grocery store. She knows I'm new to this so I'm sure she will understand.
Thanks for the advice! icon_smile.gif

miny Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:27am
post #7 of 7

Does she have her heart set on spiderman? Will she be able to change the design? Does it HAS to be WT? If. She wants spidy on WT just let her know she's going to have blue and pink cake or maybe you can change the design and do a GP or fondant figure and place it on a tiny board on top of the blue cake only to prevent the figure from getting soggy (check my pics I have the example there for you, it's one of the triplets cakes and it WF) maybe this will give you a solution, don't frustrate about it honey, this hobby is to make you happy! We can figure something out, don't panic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%