Cake Boards....?

Decorating By klallen21 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 8:33pm by klallen21

klallen21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klallen21 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 12

I was wondering...what do you all use or where do you get your cake boards? In the cake galleries, I've noticed a lot of different kinds (circles and squares) depending on the shape of the cake.

Usually cakes are so heavy, you've gotta have something stable to carry it on...

any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 12

There are so many options.....some people use foam core boards (ya know the poster boards with 1/4" or more of foam in between) they cut them to whatever shape or size they need. Some people use plywood and then cover it, others use cake drums found at baker's supply stores the possibilities are endless.

Welcome to CC btw! icon_smile.gif

klallen21 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you so much! Very helpful icon_smile.gif

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:29am
post #4 of 12

I have been using the foam board but I usually use several layers taped together and then covered.

klallen21 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 12

good idea....thanks!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 12

I use masonite boards. You can order them off of the internet. Global Sugar has them as well as Into the Oven. They can support VERY heavy cakes.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 12

This may be a stupid question, but for those who use foamcore, masonite, drums or anything other than cardboard cake circles, do you get your boards back after each cake? It seems those would get expensive if you do a lot of cakes, but at the same time, it would be such a hassle to have to get boards back after every birthday cake.

cylstrial Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 12

I like to get my masonite boards back. But if not, you should just build the cost of it into the cake, so that you aren't out the money.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:32am
post #9 of 12

I get it made depending on the size I need. We use mdf and melamine boards.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:41am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocakes

This may be a stupid question, but for those who use foamcore, masonite, drums or anything other than cardboard cake circles, do you get your boards back after each cake? It seems those would get expensive if you do a lot of cakes, but at the same time, it would be such a hassle to have to get boards back after every birthday cake.

I'd get masonite back, but the rest are not that expensive, when compared to the price one charges for a cake. I mean, the drums I buy are less than $5, and foamcore is cheaper than that.

cylstrial Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:08pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I get it made depending on the size I need. We use mdf and melamine boards.

Ok - you are going to have to tell me more about these things, please!

klallen21 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:33pm
post #12 of 12

Very interesting things...thanks for all the responses..I've wondered about getting the boards back too...the only time I've asked for it back was when I used plywood for very heavy cakes.

Thanks for keeping this going!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%