Fondant Question

Decorating By Heather715 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm by Heather715

Heather715 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 3

My Mother and I have finished Wilton Course 1, course 2 starts tonight, so needless to say, I have never covered a cake in fondant before, so please excuse my ignorance.
I have a vision of my daughters next birthday cake (in April of 2010!) but wanted to start buying the cake pans now with the 50% coupons at Michaels.
I want a tiered cake for them, covered in fondant. Colors and theme to be determined by them closer to their birthday. (by the way, I have 6 year old twins)
I was wondering if round cakes are easier to cover in fondant than square? I really like the look of square, and my daughters tell me that they want square tiers, but if round is easier, then that is what I am going to go with.
Since I have 9 months, there is lots of time to practice.
There isn't any reason why I can't figure out how to cover a cake with fondant since I have so much time to practice, right?
Oh, and I haven't mentioned that I have never made anything more than a regular round or sheet cake. I bake from scratch as a hobby, but only know what I have been tought in course 1 on how to decorate a cake.
This can be done, right?

2 replies
cookiedoescakes Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 3

I have taken courses 1, 2 & 3. I found putting fondant on square cakes much easier than round. However mastering the technique for both takes practice. You have enought time to learn both and giving your girls what they want is always nice.

Heather715 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks!
So far, for their birthdays, all they have had is a cake with small toys and figures stuck on the top. I REFUSE to buy a disgusting cake from WalMart when I can bake them one that taste much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%