Freezing?

Decorating By joanna314 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm by joanna314

joanna314 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a reception cake with different layers/fillings/frostings and my plan was to freeze everynight through my baking/torting/filling/decoration process and then take it out Saturday morning to transport to the event which is at 4PM and is outside.

My question is...is it bad to freeze any of this? Will they all thaw out nicely without sloughing or cracks or whatever. I am no expert, this is the largest cake that I have ever done and I have never froze my cakes.

Bottom tier: Chocolate cake with white chocolate strawberry ganache filling with fresh strawberries and chocolate buttercream frosting.

middle tier: Pina colada cake with pineapple filling and Rum cream cheese frosting.

Top tier: Peanut butter cake with peanut butter/banana filling and peanut butter frosting OR buttercream frosting.

My plan was to bake today (wed) and freeze cakes. Take out tomorrow (thursday) to torte and fill and crumb coat and then toss back in the freezer. Take out Friday (day before reception) and finish frosting/decorating (simple deco) and then freeze again until Saturday morning. Bottom tier will have those Pirouettes (bamboo look) around outside edge of cake over the choco buttercream. Middle tier is going to have palm trees made out of large pretzel rods and gumpaste or fondant Leaves and top tier will have fresh real "lei" flowers attached right before reception.

Does my plan work or will i have a disaster with all or part of it with freezing and refreezing several times??? Any suggestions/hints?

I am scared my buttercream will melt in the heat...if it happens to be hot that day. We are in MN right now and its been fairly mild 70-80's, but this time of year can easily be in the 90's too with high humidity.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Joanna

2 replies
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 3

Ummm . . . fresh fruit does not freeze well.

Go to the Recipe section here and look at Whipped Cream Buttercream. There's no cream in it and it's heat stable.

joanna314 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 3

Ok, so I will not do the fresh strawberries....unless I decide to put that one together later.

Does buttercream frosting or cream cheese frosting freeze and thaw fine though? I could just do the frosting you recommended and add the rum extract I think instead of vanilla. My pina coloda cake has canned pineappe in it to....seems like that should freeze fine?...right?

I am just really trying to NOT be doing this all at the last minute since I am on vacation here in MN and wanted to do this cake for my brothers reception and probably got in over my head planning this one.....OH I think I can pull it off though, LOL.

Thanks for the recipe suggestion...I think I will try that one out. Just means another trip to the store for Merigue powder though. Can you do that one in chocolate? How would you suggest doing that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%